Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a suzuki swift 99. The RPM were really low. So i went to the mechanic there were no lights in the meters. He increased the RPM of my car and the check engine light is came on. I don't know what to do i don't wanna go back to him. Because i asked him Why this light is turned on, is this because of the RPM change? He said: No there should be something more. You may have a serious problem, come back later it may take a lot of time and it can be serious. But there was no light before he increased the RPM. What can i do about that light. I don't trust the mechanics they mostly try to make more and more money.

SUZUKI SWIFT II hatchback (EA, MA)
1.0 i (53Pk) Petrol

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
You need to first get the car scanned for the light causing code NUMBER (a free service most anywhere that sells Auto Parts). With that, we should be able to help.

Also add your location under "User CP" as I'm thinking that you are other than USA. Assistance and code rendering may differ. Engine type and size too!

Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for a quick reply. I read somewhere that sometimes you can take the battery plug off and plug them again after a while. Would it not help me? Otherwise i'll buy a code reader.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Re-booting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a moment might do it.

Buy a scanner if you want, but free testing or a borrowed unit will suffice.

Just pull the codes BEFORE rebooting the ECU, or you'll not know what caused the CEL to illuminate to begin with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed then i'll never come behind the problem. Thanks for your advice. It's a big help already. I'll post more when i know something more. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
As its a Swift then I would imagine that its not a US model, it is therefore extremely unlikely to be OBD2 so a regular scan tool won't work. You should be able to pull fault codes using a jumper in the monitor coupler (diagnostic connector). What model is it? I have a bunch of Swift service manuals on pdf.

Check Engine Light

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very true. It's an european suzuki. I live in the Netherlands.
Model details: 1999
SUZUKI SWIFT II hatchback (EA, MA)
1.0 i (53Pk) Petrol

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It will be OBD1 then. PM me the VIN and I will look up the model code, it will be something like SF410.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts