Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning, my daughter has the above car, around 60k miles, well serviced. She rang me to say it wouldn't start. As she lives away from home, she had to call a recovery service. They diagnised no fuel to the injectors, cranked and cranked and all good. Anyone come across this before? Is it a blocked fuel filter (where is that please, is it an in tank one?), or are the pumps known to be an issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Confirm it is actually the pump, and not a bad relay or connection first.

Reactions: willowbob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree, when she is home this weekend, I will look at all the visible connections. Do you know any likely culprits and where they are please?

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
87 Posts
Hi willowbob when you get the vehicle to your home it would be possible to verify a "no fuel issue" by using an easy start spray injected into the air intake whilst cranking the engine. If the engine attempts to fire then the ignition system looks OK. As an alternative to easy start spray a simple DIY butane/propane torch can be used. The torch should be turned on without lighting and the gas discharge directed into the vehicle air intake and the engine cranked. Good luck with your investigation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When she is home this weekend I will listen for the prime, thanks. Its never happened before, to be fair the car has been 100% reliable, so one of those (very) intermittent things, which is frustrating. The only interesting thing is the car had been parked up from last Friday at her house as she had been away all weekend, so not used for a full 3 days, so, initially when she rung me I thought she had left the lights on when she said "it won't start".

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
It could be the non return valve in the pump thats failed as well. Next time it does it, cycle the ignition leaving it on for 5 seconds but do not crank it., repeat 3 times then try starting it, if it fires immediately its the pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a good look over the car this weekend; the pump primes when ignition is turned on, starts perfectly, really odd. I wonder if this rubbish E10 petrol is doing it no favours? It is compatible apparently, but I wonder???

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Had a good look over the car this weekend; the pump primes when ignition is turned on, starts perfectly, really odd. I wonder if this rubbish E10 petrol is doing it no favours? It is compatible apparently, but I wonder???
E10 is rubbish in my opinion. Causes no end of trouble

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the back of the above, unfortunately, the fault has reoccurred. Its a bit like a 'Russian Roulette' fault, 99% of the time the fuel pump primes the car starts all good. But, on occasion, it doesn't prime, then it won't start. That leads me to think its a bad connection somewhere. The frustrating thing here is that my daughter lives 200 miles away so I am doing the diagnosis mainly at a distance. I know these have internal fuel pumps, not accessible from the outside, but, my question is, are there external connections which may be corroded, which may be causing this fault?

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Bad crank sensor will only give misfire codes, not used for much else. If the pump isn't priming at key on, then its a bad connection or a pump starting to die.

Any missing dash lights or anything else in the car not working when it does its fail to start ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My understanding with a crank sensor issue is if the ECU can't detect the crank position, nothing will power up? From memory, a previous car I owned that had a poor running/starting issue which turned out to be the crank sensor? I think a bad pump connection is as likely though, as you say. Its frustrating the car is so far away, so I can't test properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts