Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys my Suzuki Sierra (96) is having some problems, When i take off in 1st gear it clunks constantly untill i am in 2nd even 3rd gear. I dont have a clue what it could be. Any sudgestions guys i am a bit worried that it will cause some serious damage soon. Can anyone help? The noise is almost like your car seat being clicked into position but it is constant it shutters a bit to. I took her off road and flogged her brains out could this be the cause

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
u joints being the universal joints? i have been told that that could be the cause but i do not know how to tell if any are damaged or broken? is there a special way to tell if there not good?

·
Registered
201 Posts
if you know what the u-joints are, then you can easily tell if theyre broken. i had a half broken one, where one end was broken, and another halfway there. wasnt a clunking, just an insanely bad vibration... best way is to test the play in the driveshafts. grab the shaft, and twist it side to side. if you see movement in the u-joints, replace it asap. to test the front shaft you will need to have it in 4wd with hubs engaged

·
Registered
192 Posts
chock the wheels and put on e-brake then take it out of gear, then give each drive shaft a twist, shake, and a yank near the ends. any movement will show damage. it is important to replace them _before_ you damage the drive shafts themselves - and it will.
you can't do this with it in gear because if there is pressure on them they may not move but still may be worn.

u joint = universal joint

Universal joint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
201 Posts
and i can vouch for the damage on the driveshaft. i will get i pic tomorrow after work of the wear mark on mine... if i remember and can be bothered getting under there

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Here are a few shots...

If you need to replace te u-joints, here is a decent article about how to do it.
U-Joint Rebuild

It also talks about the two different flange sizes that Suzuki used in case you decide to find a spare to carry with you on the trail. (The measurements are there so you can be assured that you have the right size flanges)

·
Registered
192 Posts
and once the shaft is damaged it becomes out of balance and will need to be repaired or replaced. if not it will _eat_ u joints, vibrate you out of your seat, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
One more word on the driveshaft.
Phasing.
Make sure that if you pull the driveshaft apart (seperating the two halves by pulling the splined portions apart), that you need to make sure you put them back together correctly. There is a small dot on each part near the splines that have to line up. This retains the factory balance. As long as you haven't dented or bent the shaft, it should still be balanced at that point. It also verifies that both ends (flanges) are pointing the same direction ('in phase'). If the shaft is even one spline off, it will vibrate badly and eventually destroy the new u-joints you have just installed...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are awesome thankyou so much. My car does not rattle or vibrate. It is more or less a clunking repeating over and over. It is in mechanics now and there draining diff to check for metal shavings. (could be a chewed tooth or gear) i really am hoping it is just the U joints guys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i see you alrady went to a shop, but i had a repedative clunking etc and it was the bearings in the rear. They were compleatly smoked and the axel shaft had a lot of play in the axle tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts