Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned 2 suzuki sidekicks. The first one was a 1991 totally niglected its whole life, its was passed on to me from my parents. The car was completely rusted through the whole body due to never being oil sprayed. The car was never given an oil change for the 3 years that my parents owned it or ever given any kind of matience what so ever. This car still lasted 400 000kms and could still be around today had i not got in an accident with it. Now thats what i call Suzki quality, a totally neglected car that still lasts 400 000kms. I now own a 1992 Sidekick and cant complain with the performance of this car either. Its a manual which is an added bonus, since the last suzuki was a 3 speed automatic which was to slow. I love these suzukis and cant get enough of them, the biggest problem that they seem to have is rust(live in Canada) but if i didnt live in canada and the car was exposted to salt, im sure the car would be thats much better. This car has 230 000ms right now, so heres to another 200 000kms lol :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, I believe the Sidekick was the previous Vitara.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya the sidekick was made before the vitara, as far as consumer reports goes, its probably i better thing to get a sidekick then a Vitara from what ive read

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by admin@Oct 16 2004, 08:34 PM
So, should we put this in other Suzuki models or Vitara portion of this site?.

My two-cents worth..... (new to this forum, so still learning about it)... In my opinion, the sidekick is absolutely nothing like the Vitara.. not even close... So I don't think Sidekick should be included in the Vitara group. I don't yet know how active this forum is, or how many Sidekick people are involved, but what makes the most sense to me is to have a separate Sidekick group, mainly because it is a unique vehicle and nothing like the Vitara. If there are not very many Sidekick users in here, then this won't work, but perhaps it is worth a try. The only way we will find out is to identify the group and see how many people get involved.

Jangles

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
No the Geo Tracker is the same as the Sidekick...I believe the Suzuki Sport and the Vitara are the common utes.

I think the Sidekick should get its own forum as its probably the most popular Suzuki here in the states as well as other countries...and the Sidekick owners are of the most loyal veriety...ever talked to a Sidekick owner?

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to this forum. In fact just joined in today. So a big Hello to all members. In continuation of this thread here are my two cents ..

1. I think a new forum should be there for Sidekick because this was the best seller for Suzuki in North America when in production.
2. As far as I know, production of Sidekicks were discontinued in '99 and were superceded by Vitara.

Yet since Sidekick still have a distinctive market segment and user following, I think it deserves its own forum here. (If you have still not guessed, I own a Sidekick Sport JLX ;) )

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It depends where you live. I Canada the Sidekick (which was built in Canada) was for sale in the fall of 1988 and continued on till 1997. In 1998 it was replaced by the redesigned Vitara and is currently being produced today. In Japan and other parts of the world the Sidekick is called Escudo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 88-97 Vitara is known as the Sidekick in the USA and as the Escudo in some others. The 5-door was replaced by the Grand Vitara and the XL-7 and the 3-door the Vitara. And this from a friend working for Suzuki. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
do'h...here in aus the "sidekick" has been called 'vitara' since it came out in 1982....the later v6 model is called the 'vitara grande'....i'm soooooo confused :blink:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Don't be :57: . This forum is for 1.6 L Vitara.

Originally posted by grumpy@Feb 6 2005, 12:03 AM
do'h...here in aus the "sidekick" has been called 'vitara' since it came out in 1982....the later v6 model is called the 'vitara grande'....i'm soooooo confused :blink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts