Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 samurai and have a 95 geo tracker to swap out its engine. Should I use the 1.6 fuel injection or use the original carb intake??? Also i keep reading about an adaptor kit, do i need that???
thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
was the tracker a 2wd? got the trany also? how about the computer and harness?
if so it would save the adaptor cost.
just shorten the half shaft.
the carb is possible (it's what I did - it was easier) but not the optimal choice. go with injection.
you don't say if it's a 8 valve or 16...

thanks,
george

·
Registered
149 Posts
Either way FI or carb will work but I like the fuel injection... no more messing with a carb.

Tracker engine with Sami tranny will require and adapter plate.
Petroworks and Trail Tough both make good adapters for the swaps and will even mod the wiring harness for you as well.

Good luck with the swap, totally worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imamoron

it is an 8valve. So you guys are saying carb is easy to install but FI is the best way to go??? Some people have told me that if i want to make a good rock crawler that carb is better. Personally i dont think im going to do any extreme rock crawling just lots of mudding and hills/mountain trails. And yes i have the complete running tracker so by what u guys are saying i wont need the adaptor kit.
thanks everybody

·
Registered
201 Posts
for mudding, i would highly recommend the carb setup. less electronics to get wrecked from moisture... and yes, you will still need an adapter kit. basically it contains a plate that sits between the samurai transmission and the tracker engine, plus the engine mounts...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Fuel Injector looks like a type of single throttle body. Is that ok for mudding compared to a multi-port fuel injection?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Throttle-body Fuel Injection works better in two ways:

1. the engine will run off camber (on steep slopes) without loss of fuel flow caused by the carburetor's float valve.

2. Better gas mileage.

The Multiport fuel injection is available only on the 16-valve engine. While the block is the same for both engines, you would need the 16 valve head, the intake and all the electronics to make it work - which is a lot of work. If you have the TBI, the harness and the ECM, then use it.

You CAN use the Sidekick transmission (five-speed?) but you still need motor mounts. The advantage to the Samurai transmission is that there is only one style as the transfer case is divorced on a Samurai. In order to use a "Trackick" transmission, you would need a 2wd unit which would be hard to find. A three-speed 2wd unit also can be used but again, the problem is finding one.

The Samurai 1.6 adapter kit is simple, complete and costs under 200 bucks. Most of the offroading vendors like Petroworks and Low Range Offroad and others sell them.

The carbureted system can be easily adapted to the 8-valve head as the 1.3 intake bolts right up. It is only a matter of installing an aftermarket carb (My-Side seems to be the current favorite because it is complete and service after the sale from ZOR Zuks Off Road better than what you would get with the second choice - a Weber DGAx32/36. If you call Zuks Offroad , tell them Ack sent you. That'll be good for a laugh!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a 5 speed. So then ill have to use my samurai transmission, buy the adaptor kit, and keep the throttle body fuel injection. Also ive been looking for a place that sells the adaptor kit and petroworks are out of stock. The link is for Trailtoughs and it looks good but does anybody know what it comes with? 1600 Engine Adapter Kit

thankyou all for helping me :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
yea, but is it a 2wd? That is what you want... you can't use the 4wd version.
The main difference in the sammy 5sp and the tracker 5sp is 5th gear. You just wouldn't get quite the same mpg. Very minor change, but my guess is you aren't building this for a road vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
both are 4wd. @gasjr4wd But the trackers transmission wont work right? So i have to use the sami transmission. According to ack i have to use sami's transmission unless i have the 2wd one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
correct, your 4wd trans will NOT work.
Maybe you could swap a salvage yard even up?
I think the sidekick trans is a more heaver trans... thats good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankyou all for helping me! just one more question... i found an adaptor kit by trail tough but it doesnt come with motor mounts. Can i move them from the 1.3 to the 1.6 engine block, and just use spacers???

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thankyou all for helping me! just one more question... i found an adaptor kit by trail tough but it doesnt come with motor mounts. Can i move them from the 1.3 to the 1.6 engine block, and just use spacers???
Not easily. The mounting points don't match axially - the engine mount is off forward or backwards by an inch or so from the frame mount.

According to the LowRangeOffroad website, the Trailtough kit DOES come with engine mount adapters. They also sell a more rugged set.

LOW RANGE OFFROAD

I got my adapter kit from Calmini back in none-teen-aught-none (2000?).

1600cc bolt-in

I understand that the TrailTough tranny adapter is superior.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just re-drilled two holes... I think the drivers side... one engine had parallel mounts and the other engine has the mounts a little forward of another. Guess the other one was the trans mount. (going by memory)
All has been fine for about 10 years, and I'm hard on things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see you have had a few replies....I have a 87 Sami that I am putting a 94 Sidekick 1.6 8V TBI into. The adapter plate is a piece of cake, the wiring is a nitemare. I stripped and made the donor harness work but my many years as a wrench still made it a task. I would suggest taking out the donor harness and send it to Trail Tough and they will make it into a plug in harness for $299. Believe me, I was just about to put my carb back on when I got it to fire up. Whewwwwww. Remember, you have to have at least a 4 inch lift to get the 1.6 oil pan to clear the front diff. Hope this helps. Geno

1 - 18 of 18 Posts