Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Suzuki Samurai 1.3 petrol which idles at about 2500rpm. I’m guessing this is high as it sounds loud. After a while about 15 minutes it does start to go down a bit. What could be causing the issue? What can I look for?

thanks again,

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
Different market vehicles were fitted with different carburetors, and on a thirty year old vehicle, many things may have been replaced - what carb does your vehicle have? Idle speed warm should be around 750 rpm, does the vehicle have a tachometer or are you guessing the idle speed?

A good place to start is by making sure that the throttle cable is not too "tight", there should be a few mm slack with the throttle closed, "gummy" of sticky carburetor linkages can also prevent things from moving the way they should so that choke linkages, which incorporate a cold or fast idle mechanism can remain engaged when they shouldn't, I've also seen the secondary throttle plate stick open and cause high idle.

Assuming this is the same vehicle you've been restoring, if it's been lying unused for some time, it's probably a good idea to get a carburetor rebuild kit and give the carb a thorough cleaning. When gasoline evaporates it can leave varnish & gum deposits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fodem. How do I check what carburetor I have? I'm just using the tachometer on the dashboard to see the revs. The temperature gauge is on 0 when I first start the car with the really high revs. After about 15 minutes, the heating gauge starts to go up and the revs go down to a resemble level.

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
How do I check what carburetor I have?
Remove the air filter and take a picture so we can see it, some body here might be able to figure it out.

The temperature gauge is on 0 when I first start the car with the really high revs. After about 15 minutes, the heating gauge starts to go up and the revs go down to a resemble level.
To some extent, that is normal, the fast idle may be incorrectly adjusted, it should be roughly 1500~1800 rpm cold, and around 750 rpm warm.

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
That does not look like the Hitachi carb I would expect on a Samurai, which country are you in and do you know what market the vehicle was built for? If you provide the VIN I may be able to look it up for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m in Ireland. Not sure what market it was bought for. But it was bought in Ireland new at the time. Here is the identification plate. Is one of these the vin number?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts