Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 Sammy with a 1.6 8v swap.

I just tried to get through AZ emissions and my CO was over by .5.

I can get the paper with all results if that will help I just don't currently have it handy.

All I wanna do is dial down my CO enough to pass, everything seems to run fine. About 90% ready to switch to fuel injection also, just need to figure out speed sensor and fuel pump situations, so this just needs to work once.

Generally work on motorcycles but this carb isn't even really similar to a flat slide or CV. Any help would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although I'm not really sure of the age of the cat as I haven't replaced it in the year I've had the samurai it looks remarkably new.

I'd really prefer to avoid replacing it if possible. Headers and full exhaust with a high flow cat are hopefully going on once my finances allow it and it would be painful to replace it just to replace it.

I replaced the spark plugs and air filter since I ran it and was hoping to get it through without much more spending.

I read that the a/f mixture screw(s?) is only for idle primarily and after that the electronics take over. Is that true?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you have your HC, CO2, and CO readings and max values yet? Even though you passed, your HC could still be high, which means your are running rich.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the CO are 1.5 (3 max)
Nox are 2.8 (5 max)

They apparently don't check CO2 emissions on this old of a vehicle in AZ because it doesn't say.

I know the CO is unburned fuel but I wasn't sure if there was any way to lean the carb out off idle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright so I got through the actual emissions portion with flying colors.

Air filter, plugs, and a bottle of sea foam in the tank did wonders.

Now I gotta deal with failing the tank pressure test :(

I thought I had it under control, some of the cannister lines were lose, but it still failed. Any advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
alright so I got through the actual emissions portion with flying colors.

Air filter, plugs, and a bottle of sea foam in the tank did wonders.

Now I gotta deal with failing the tank pressure test :(

I thought I had it under control, some of the cannister lines were lose, but it still failed. Any advice?
If it's carb'ed like mine was there should be little if any tank pressure.
My sister Suzuki Swift on the other hand............

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mine (carbed) never developed much pressure, and then failed evap last time. I found that the little plastic tank under the cover inside Sami and above the fuel filler, had cracked along the seam.

I JB Welded the seam and now it develops plenty of pressure.

I also smelled gas fumes inside Sami on hot days and when climbing long grades. No more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so the plastic tank which had a small crack is now JB welded up nice and tight. Everything else checked out according to the tests described in the manual so now its off to emissions again tomorrow, very hopefully for the last time for 2 years...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts