Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody!

Last January I bought 1989 Samurai for hunting car and after 1 month every time I started the engine it had a similar little noise like you start car while it is already running. It started little by little and then it was getting worse. One time I noticed that the starter was loose and one bolt was missing. I replaced the bolt and the issue was still there. I thought that I have to replace the whole starter and so I did. I noticed that the old starters teeth were little worn out. After the new starter the engine started a bit better but the noise was still there and it was getting stronger again. When I was replacing the new starter I saw the flywheel and there was few sections with it's teeth's witch were worn of.
Last two times I started the car and it sounds like the starter's teeth's doesn't touch at the flywheel at all. And it wont start.

So my question is: What the hell I suppose to do? Do I have to find new flywheel and does anyone know where to find those? Or is there something with the starter that I didn't realize?

Help!

And sorry my English

·
Administrator
17,741 Posts
If the ring gear teeth are worn than either the ring gear or the flywheel will have to be replaced, and I suggest you replace the starter (or at least the bendix) again, at the same time. I also strongly recommend that you measure the diameter of the flywheel/ring gear before making any purchases - a Samurai with a 1.3 engine in Finland is not necessarily the same as a Samurai with a 1.3 engine anywhere else in the world, I have also found that G13 engines do not all use the same flywheel.

Any place I can point you to for a new flywheel is going to be in the US or Japan, and the freight is going to be a killer - try Low Range Off Road in the US or megazip.net in Japan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Again!

My story continues... So I bought new flywheel from US. It is replaced and all the teeth's were totally worn off from the old flywheel. So after that the dude who changed the flywheel noticed that the whole motor is from the Suzuki Vitara 1.6 16v!!!! So in my Samurai there is Vitaras Motor inside. Ok so the dude who sold the car for me didn't bother to mention this to me. And I don't know so much about cars so I didn't have any clue about this " little " thing. So now there is that flywheel replaced and it fit perfectly and that seems to be ok. Now I have to replace the old starter. Does Samurai have same starter than that Vitara model? When I try to find starter to Vitara, it is totally same starter that fits in suzuki. I am so confused now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.