Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm new here, looks like this is the place to come for all things suzuki. I am considering purchasing a 2006 Suzuki Reno with a 5spd and 92,000 on it. I like the way it looks and drives, and the price is 3 grand, so not bad, I dont think. I'm not familiar with suzukis at all and wanted to find out if these cars are good reliable vehicles. Is there any particular parts on these little cars that are prone to failure that I should preemptively inspect/replace? My current vehicle is Toyota Echo and its been a real trooper, going STRONG with 251,000 miles! I just want make sure this suzuki will be good also.

Also I like to know as much as possible about the vehicle I'm driving, especially the engine. I haven't been able to find too many details on this motor, other than it is made by Holden, and fairly common especially overseas. Any random bits of info, links, or resources would be great!
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
The main concerns with a Suzuki are mechanical. As the "Love Child of GM and Daewoo" they have lots of peculiarities that only apply to them. Although all makes have their quirks, it's a little disconcerting that the Suzuki/Subaru/Jeep/Etc combination dealership mechanics have to find a Suzuki-specific mechanic to do a lot of the work.

Replacement parts on a Suzuki are EXTREMELY expensive, and a surprising number of parts (including wheel studs, lug nuts, and more) are dealer-only. At one point, the thermostat (a $10 part on most cars) cost over $120 (dealer-only, of course). There are a few places on the web to get things cheaper, but sometimes waiting isn't a practical option.

The manual transmissions have a nice gear ratio, and I have no complaints (although the automatics have been a bit put down because of poor acceleration & bad gas mileage).

There is a (very expensive) known issue with the AIR BAGS that Suzuki refuses to issue a recall for. The wiring harness in the passenger seat is poorly designed. I've brought my car in at least 5 times, and even had the entire harness replaced (while still under warranty). The harness costs about $1300, and only kept the sensor light from coming on. If you have the audacity to think your airbags should function in an emergency, it's something you might want to keep in mind. The red indicator light (a profile of a seat with an airbag deployed in front of it) is located on the right side of the cluster.

Minor irritations:
The TPMS (tire pressure sensor) on my Reno is EXTREMELY sensitive. A long road trip or cool morning will trip the sensor randomly. I'm not sure why the engineers didn't put a little wider tolerance in, but they didn't ask for my input!

The SSPS (Speed Sensitive Power Steering) sensor, which is a Suzuki-specific "feature" error light turns on randomly. The indicator light is orange, on the left of the cluster, and looks like a steering wheel. I've talked to Suzuki dealer mechanics who said the light just kind of comes on sometimes, even after spending the couple hundred bucks to replace it.

Finally, the rarity of the Suzuki Reno has made it a bit more difficult to customize things than a more popular car like a Civic would be. The fact that the website is here means that it's obviously not impossible, it just takes a bit more work than some other cars.

That said, good luck!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
most parts for the reno/forenza can be found in the aftermarket. ive even seen catalytic converters and the transmission range sensor, parts that previously where dealer only. as far as lug nuts and such you just need to know which ones you need and you can buy them almost anywhere. the main things that have been a problem on these cars are the head gasket, the transmission range sensor and the airbag problem. the transmission range sensor you can probably install yourself, most on the forum have. as long as you keep up with the maintenance the car should last quite a while. for the car your looking at make sure that the timing belt was changed at the correct time, 30,000mi or that could cause you a problem or cost a bit to have changed. if the timing belt goes you can mess up the motor. on the subject of building up the car for speed or whatever, basically everything, motor wise and suspension wise, is available. not much in the way of body kits though. there is also a ton of info on this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts