Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any photo's of what it looks like when installed (or not). Also how does it function, many of the other kits for Alpine, Pioneer limit the ipod to only 6 playlists - which kind of stinks imho; also can you use the click wheel of the iPod if you want to still?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
362 Posts
Suzuki uses the Clarion 125 CeNet iPod interface, so you only get the 6 playlists (it treats the iPod like a 6 disc changer, each "playlist" is a CD).
It also locks out the iPod, so you can not scroll, or use any of the functions.
The Clarion interface does charge the iPod, and you can stash it way in the glovebox, so nobody knows it there. You will get part of the song title displayed on the radio (I'm not sure of the number of characters it can display) and you can skip up and down a track using the steering wheel audio controls (if your SX4 has them).

I have a cable for the SX4 that plugs into the back of the radio and activates the "AUX" audio input. You can plug it into the iPod headphone jack and get a direct audio input into the deck..

e-mail me at [email protected] for details if you are interested.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
If all goes well, ought to be a new owner of a SX4 JLX this week... SAlesman mentionned the possibility of getting the wire out for MP3, is it only for IPOD or others ? (I own a Creative Zen microphoto).

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
362 Posts
Eric,

The only adapter Suzuki has is the Clarion and it only works with the iPod.

Your dealer was most likely talking about my cable (I've been in contact with a few Suzuki dealers across Canada about my cable. Who is your dealer?)

My AUX adapter cable will work with any MP3 player.

E-mail me for details at:

[email protected]

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone have any tips, or the procedure for accessing the back of the radio? How do you pull the radio, and also how do you remove the panel above the "information display" at the top of the dash. I've got an annoying buzz from that area, and I would like to try adding some foam strips under the panel somewhere.

·
Registered
362 Posts
To pull the radio from the SX4, you have to carefully remove the silver trim from both sides of the console, the radio/heater screws are located behind the trim.

Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
TimMcCabe said:
To pull the radio from the SX4, you have to carefully remove the silver trim from both sides of the console, the radio/heater screws are located behind the trim.

Tim
That helps a bunch! - do you know how to remove the panel above the information display?

·
Registered
362 Posts
After the radio is removed, you will find 2 screws that hold the display bezel in place.

Remove the screws, then lift the bezel/vents out. You will have to unplug the 4 way flasher switch.

The display just slides into place, so to remove it you will have to slide it towards you..

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tim,
Does your cable allow intereaction with the steering wheel mounted controls (ie change playlists, etc.) ?

Thanks,

ENB

·
Registered
362 Posts
ENB,

My cable only activates the "AUX" input, so it is strictly an audio input into the stereo.

You can adjust the volume and change the mode (Radio/CD/AUX/XM) from the steering wheel control.

The stereo display will show "AUX" on the screen, you will have to use your MP3 player itself to change songs/playlists ect..

The main advantage is it works with any MP3 player, not just the iPod. It also allows you to still use all of the functions of your MP3 player (all be it by hand), rather then only being able to skip up or down a song when using the Suzuki iPod interface.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought the iPod kit and installed it myself. The box includes instructions for removing the panels/radio.
The strips were scary. I used a plastic putty knife and a flat tip screwdriver covered with electrical tape but I left tiny little marks.
The instructions say to use a nylon trim removal tool. An audio shop would probably sell you one or put it in for 1/2 of what the dealer wants ($60).
There are about 4 snaps on each piece of the silver and four screws to remove the radio. You then snap off the trim piece by the passenger's foot and remove the glove box. Both of those were a breeze to do. Only scary part was the silver. You could ask the dealer how much they are to replace and if they are cheap do it with no fears. But they are probably $100 each.
You actually make 5 playlist on your iPod called Clarion1, Clarion2, etc and the interface finds those. Clarion1 then becomes CD 2. That is because CD 1 is every song on your iPod. I made 4 smart playlist and named them clarion, then made clarion5 a manual playlist and I just drag over the stuff I want for that trip (podcast).
So you could make clarion1 all 3 star songs you haven't heard in a month or similar and so on. Then when you sync up you will have new songs.
Not great but no horrible either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thundermustard said:
I bought the iPod kit and installed it myself. The box includes instructions for removing the panels/radio.
The strips were scary. I used a plastic putty knife and a flat tip screwdriver covered with electrical tape but I left tiny little marks.
The instructions say to use a nylon trim removal tool. An audio shop would probably sell you one or put it in for 1/2 of what the dealer wants ($60).
There are about 4 snaps on each piece of the silver and four screws to remove the radio. You then snap off the trim piece by the passenger's foot and remove the glove box. Both of those were a breeze to do. Only scary part was the silver. You could ask the dealer how much they are to replace and if they are cheap do it with no fears. But they are probably $100 each.
You actually make 5 playlist on your iPod called Clarion1, Clarion2, etc and the interface finds those. Clarion1 then becomes CD 2. That is because CD 1 is every song on your iPod. I made 4 smart playlist and named them clarion, then made clarion5 a manual playlist and I just drag over the stuff I want for that trip (podcast).
So you could make clarion1 all 3 star songs you haven't heard in a month or similar and so on. Then when you sync up you will have new songs.
Not great but no horrible either.
I've been trying to get up the nerve to pry off the metal strips to gain access to a rattle that I have somewhere above the radio. Now I'm worried, because I was going to try a plastic putty knife too. Those strips must be really thin. Could a guy work an old credit card or something in there to help spread the force over a larger area? Any tips that you can provide would be helpful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They were really on there tight.
I don' know if a credit card would work.
Start at the bottom and try and get it to wriggle out. Once it is, the bottom clip is about 3-4 inches up so try and get that one to let go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't buy the ipod version!

Anyone looking at getting the ipod connector should really look into something like this instead. Any mp3 connector Its well worth it as you never know if you will still have an ipod that will work with the ipod connector anytime soon. (iphone itouch)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Suzuki sx4 car stereo installation ipod kit

They were really on there tight.
I don' know if a credit card would work.
Start at the bottom and try and get it to wriggle out. Once it is, the bottom clip is about 3-4 inches up so try and get that one to let go.
The best method, using what i have read above, turned out to be using two credit like cards stacked together on either side of the trim pieces a total of four. For example miles cards, phone cards etc. Work them up both sides. It takes a bit of cajouling but it seems to work without leaving any marks. I did lose one of the retaining clips, but that was my own fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CeNet Bad Quality Sound

I installed the CeNet into my Swift, but I did not get a good (excellent) sound, there are more than 10 points of difference in the volumen between the CD/RADIO and Ipod. All my tracks are in 192kbps.

Does any one have noticed it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to say that I purchased Tim's cable a couple weeks ago. I was able to install it in about 15 minutes and it sounds great. I'd highly recommend it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just wanted to say that I purchased Tim's cable a couple weeks ago. I was able to install it in about 15 minutes and it sounds great. I'd highly recommend it.
Same here. Got Tim's cable a little while back and was able to plug it in by reaching up behind the dash from the driver's side. Took a few tries to find the right spot, but I didn't have to take anything apart to do it either. I think the hardest part was working up the nerve to lay on my back on the driver's side floor. :blush-anim-cl:

Cable works great!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tim's cable

I also purchased Tim cable. It took less that a week to arrive here (Ohio). Since I have skinny arms; after an exploratory reach behind the dash (from the drivers side), I was able to hit the hole on the next try. Watch out for sharp metal parts. I did managed to come out with all my skin. I did a quick check with my SanDisk player and all is good. Total install was about 10 min. Now to figure the best way to tidy up the cable.

Thanks Tim!

Mcrey

1 - 20 of 113 Posts