Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm retrofitting a electric assisted PS column from a 2002/3 Ignis to my project vehicle, and wanted to know what size fuse is normally used to protect the EPAS circuit.

My unit

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
50A for the main power feed to the control module
10A for control feed

not sure which donor model its from but i've attached a generic diagram that might help

second diagram shows the eps warning light in case you want to get that working

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50A for the main power feed to the control module
10A for control feed

not sure which donor model its from but i've attached a generic diagram that might help

second diagram shows the eps warning light in case you want to get that working
Many thanks for this information.

No I wouldn't be using the warning light or any of that sort from the stock vehicle.

I'm using a Power Distribution Module with gets rid of all fuses and relays and uses solid state technology to control current draw to circuits. This can all be programmed in the software on when to trip the circuit.

The column I'm installing and using a kit from Rallywizz which has a potentiometer to control the assistance given by the unit.

Thanks a million for the help.;)

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
KMD™;1537389 said:
The column I'm installing and using a kit from Rallywizz which has a potentiometer to control the assistance given by the unit.
interesting how you are going to do that as "assistance" level is preset in the EPS control unit and is not adjustable as its tied in with the torque sensor inputs, as torque required drops, "assist" is reduced

Only possible way I could think of doing it is to interrupt the torque sensor inputs but they are a proportional control and react like a piezo element, more you turn against the force the higher the output gets from them.

Watch the electronic PDM's, these can give all sorts of funny issues depending on how they are set, some try to clamp close to current limit with all sorts of noise generated. If your cuts off cleanly then you shouldn't have any issues. I have my doubts, those EPS units can pull some big currents momentarily (well over 70A) and the PDM might treat that as a fault where a fuse wont. Add a bit of hysteresis in if you can to allow for that momentary spike as the motor fires up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting how you are going to do that as "assistance" level is preset in the EPS control unit and is not adjustable as its tied in with the torque sensor inputs, as torque required drops, "assist" is reduced

Only possible way I could think of doing it is to interrupt the torque sensor inputs but they are a proportional control and react like a piezo element, more you turn against the force the higher the output gets from them.
The aftermarket controller replicates the signals produced by the Ignis which you can manipulate manually by the controller knob to dictate the sensitivity. It has been done loads of times in Race & Rally cars using Suzuki & Opel columns.

Watch the electronic PDM's, these can give all sorts of funny issues depending on how they are set, some try to clamp close to current limit with all sorts of noise generated. If your cuts off cleanly then you shouldn't have any issues. I have my doubts, those EPS units can pull some big currents momentarily (well over 70A) and the PDM might treat that as a fault where a fuse wont. Add a bit of hysteresis in if you can to allow for that momentary spike as the motor fires up.
The PDMs have an over current dwell time where the circuit is allowed to go over the set current limit by a certain amount and for a certain time limit before the unit trips the circuit permanently or temporarily after a set by the programmer timer before the circuit retries again. This retry can be done as much times as the programmer chooses before the PDM permanently kills the circuit and notifies of a latched issue.

HTH

K1D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts