Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2005 Ignis 1.3 2WD. The problem I have is an intermittent fault with the foot brake whilst driving.
On a few separate occasions now, when braking the pedal goes right to the floor and does not work. When released and repressed (in a PANIC) it works ok.

I have checked through the braking system myself, fluid, pads, callipers. Also because I found everything to be ok and it happened again a few weeks later I booked it into my local garage and had them check it out.
They found everything in working order. But noted the car is fitted with ABS and recommended I book it into a main Suzuki dealer to have the computer controlled ABS checked out.
I imagine using a main dealer will cost a fortune.

Has anyone had a similar problem or any ideas / suggestions as to what could be causing this brake fault?
Any help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
brake pedal going to floor

Lazyboy did you find the problem with your brakes because I have exactly the same symptoms aqnd I would be interested to know the solution.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
even tho its an old thread, classic symptom of a master cylinder bypassing internally, faulty non-return valve in it will cause it, fails intermittently causing pedal to the floor, then works next pump of the pedal.

·
Registered
969 Posts
HA HA, old thread about an old problem that still happens. I have a Landcruiser with ABS that if you pressed the brake pedal, all four wheels would remain braking slightly. Only way to get home without burning the pads was to crack the two tube nuts at the Master Cyl to release the pressure. It was a faulty MC as well.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
HA HA, old thread about an old problem that still happens. I have a Landcruiser with ABS that if you pressed the brake pedal, all four wheels would remain braking slightly. Only way to get home without burning the pads was to crack the two tube nuts at the Master Cyl to release the pressure. It was a faulty MC as well.
yep, that little shim under the main pressure seal is responsible for all sorts of issues, brakes stay on, brakes don't work sometimes. It happens more often than you think.

Reactions: 2000IGNIS

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yer, at first I thought it was a fault with the Full Time 4WD (AWD), EG wind-up, as it would stop rolling slow when I turned the wheel down hill, but after feeling the heat at all four wheels, it was bloody obvious it was brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
brake pedal going to floor

Thanks for comments. I should have made it clear that the problem with the brake pedal going a long way down only occurs after sudden braking when (I believe) the ABS cuts-in. It returns to normal afterwards but it is quite un-nerving. It has only started doing this 3 months ago.
Personally I don't believe it is a m/cyl issue.
The car is a 2007 Ignis.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Thanks for comments. I should have made it clear that the problem with the brake pedal going a long way down only occurs after sudden braking when (I believe) the ABS cuts-in. It returns to normal afterwards but it is quite un-nerving. It has only started doing this 3 months ago.
Personally I don't believe it is a m/cyl issue.
The car is a 2007 Ignis.
in that case i'd suspect air in the system, it is a good idea to replace the fluid and fully bleed the systems every 3 years or so. You will need a scan tool that has "ABS Bleed" functionality tho to run the motor and cycle the solenoids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts