Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a beginner with car engines, learning as I go. My 1.3 ignis (manual) engine light came on and mechanic tested and said it needed new plugs, leads and coils. Car was running but sometimes pulling on acceleration and a little bumpy when idle. I removed and replaced the old spark plugs to test if I could do the job myself, car started fine. However, I removed one of the old plugs again to check the part number and when I replaced it this time the car wouldn't start. I tried a few times and the engine made a strange, slightly alarming noise. I removed the spark plug and found oil at the tip of the plug and a little whiff of white smoke came out of the engine - eek! When I replaced plug and turned the engine over again it was cranking over but not really trying to start.

Is there a chance I did some damage there?

I have now replaced all the plugs and leads but car still won't start. It turns over fine (no strange noises) but won't actually start up. I don't have a torque wrench so I have guessed tightening the spark plugs based on how tight they were when I took them out, would that make a difference? I haven't replaced either of the coils yet, but I was hoping to avoid that cost if possible.

Any help with possible reasons why car is now not starting would be very, very welcome.
Cheryl

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Is there a chance you dropped something in the plug hole?
Have you plugged all coil wires in correctly?
Did you break a plug installing?
Is there spark from the coils (hard to test)?

The original issue could also been from Cam, Crank, O2 sensor fault as well as ignition components. Also, build-up of gunk/carbon in throttle body.

It might be time for you to get someone that knows what they are doing to look at it to help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 2000Ignis, thank you for your reply.

Deffo nothing left in engine, all wires double checked and correct, plugs all still intact. I don't know about the coils.

What I don't understand is why the car was working (albeit not perfectly) until I removed and replaced one of the spark plugs the second time. It was fine the first time. Are there rookie mistakes for replacing spark plugs I could have made that might have caused the engine to make that odd noise and stop working?

The diagnosis for the original issue was made by a local mechanic I trust, although he could be wrong of course!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts