Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Would it be possible to take the drive line of a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 V6 5MT and place it in a steel tube chassis?

If you place the drive line of a V6 4x4 Suzuki G.V in the back of a steel tube chassis, can you replace the rear and front differentials with Toyota front and rear differentials so you can have the engine in the back? would it then be possible to run the shifter linkage to the front of the steel tube chassis too. When the suspension is fabricated, could someone possibly make a composite plug to cast a fiber glass body from then attach it to the steel tube chassis? If someone was proficient in CAD could they get a plasma cutter to cut out the 3 foil spoiler, rear diff user, front splitter and canards out of sheet metal?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
this is whats done every day to build race cars. What are you actually asking? is it possible, yes, how much...lots of $$$

My last dirt race car build was in the vicinity of $75,000 plus another $25,000 for the engine build

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
If I understand you correctly you're looking to take the drive line from a front engined, 4WD Suzuki and mount it into the rear of the tube chassis, so that the engine is in the rear - no I don't think that can be done - and I don't think you would want to do it either, not when you figure out what you're going to end up with. The last thing you want is the weight of the engine all the way to the rear of the chassis, you're going to end up with a tail heavy vehicle that will oversteer badly - you're also going to have issues getting things to run in the "right" direction, if you attempt to use "off the shelf" components.

One last thing, unless I'm very much mistaken, the engine in the Escudo in the picture you posted is at the front of the vehicle, and the vehicle does not use the OE drive train.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
If I understand you correctly you're looking to take the drive line from a front engined, 4WD Suzuki and mount it into the rear of the tube chassis, so that the engine is in the rear - no I don't think that can be done - and I don't think you would want to do it either, not when you figure out what you're going to end up with. The last thing you want is the weight of the engine all the way to the rear of the chassis, you're going to end up with a tail heavy vehicle that will oversteer badly - you're also going to have issues getting things to run in the "right" direction, if you attempt to use "off the shelf" components.
ummm....VW Baja buggies are exactly like this as are a lot of the offroad racing ones are they not? and in V8 too. Certainly not unstable if set up correctly.

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
I hope you noticed that the buggy in that video was NOT VW based, and also not rear engined, as in the engine is ahead of the rear axle, and if you've driven a VW based buggy, then you know, the tail wags the dog.

You could conceivably build a mid engined vehicle, with the engine transmission & transfer case ahead of the rear axle, and extend the front drive shaft forward to run the front axle, but, that was not what he asked about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I love asking this question and the grandma who owns a Grand Vitara with 5 kids tells me it can't be done, then the dude who's been building rock crawlers is going to tell me what to watch out for like don't flip the differentials over so the pinion gear is lubricated. It can be done, the body is the most expensive part for what I want to do, I'm just one guy and this is the replica I am building. I know it will cost thousands if I want to spend thousands on a drive line that will not net me early retirement, I'm not about spending mass amounts of money to work longer in life lmao! this is just a side project. I know it can be done, there's literally a dirt track up the street from me. Instead of making their lame sprint car bodies I'll send them the CAD files to the Escudo pikes peak car, it just won't be 900hp alloy v6 it will be more in the realm of 350HP but it will sound like an escudo and that's all I care about. It's like the dude asking how to build a bat mobile then everyone saying "you can't because the Joker won't believe you" ?!?!?! LOOOOL. Thanks for the laughs.

My favourite quote is "The v6 is at the front of this Suzuki pictured" hahahah. Greg, you're right! I won't be using a sequential dog box matted to a WRC pro rally transfer case that can split torque at a whim. lmao! So cancel using that setup. darn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last thing, unless I'm very much mistaken, the engine in the Escudo in the picture you posted is at the front of the vehicle, and the vehicle does not use the OE drive train.
You mean that a Suzuki grand vitara manual transmission and transfer case can't take 900hp up pikes peak off the rev limiter a few times with bigger tires than factory? dang. My whole race team is going to be upset to find this out. Lol I wonder if there are any other components that can handle the abuse? If I'M* not mistaken I think even the all wheel drive system (fwd bias) in the Honda CRV is capable of taking 600-900hp... and their differentials are the size of fists lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
View attachment 95834

Would it be possible to take the drive line of a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 V6 5MT and place it in a steel tube chassis?

If you place the drive line of a V6 4x4 Suzuki G.V in the back of a steel tube chassis, can you replace the rear and front differentials with Toyota front and rear differentials so you can have the engine in the back? would it then be possible to run the shifter linkage to the front of the steel tube chassis too. When the suspension is fabricated, could someone possibly make a composite plug to cast a fiber glass body from then attach it to the steel tube chassis? If someone was proficient in CAD could they get a plasma cutter to cut out the 3 foil spoiler, rear diff user, front splitter and canards out of sheet metal?
Never seen that set up before on a Grand Vitara.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts