Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a bit of a pickle with my Vitara again. After 30-60 minutes of driving heating goes off and engine is heating up and sometimes overheating. I have been to my trusted garage and they have flushed the system and changed thermostat, but couldn't really find any faults. No typical signs of blown head gasket or pressure issues. No creamy residue in engine oil or oil in coolant, yet coolant level keeps slowly going down. I have bled it couple of times to no improvement. Has anyone had similar issues?

Kind regards
Miles

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
if its using water its going somewhere, Have you replaced the cap? is the reserve expansion bottle level dropping? if it is, look for leaks or cracks.
It could still be leaking into the cylinder and being burnt. Get a pressure test of the cooling system done hot in case theres a crack somewhere.
Brute force method is to toss a can of liquid glass or stop leak in it, if it comes right theres a crack or a gasket leaking. Make sure you use an OEM thermostat too as the aftermarket ones are not that good on these motors, should be 82C and must have a bypass bleed hole installed to the top of the housing..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have a look at the cap, b but combustion and leak tests were done and no faults.. it's driving me crazy.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
what combustion and leak tests did they do? did they do them hot?
and is the level in the expansion bottle dropping? or just the radiator?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what combustion and leak tests did they do? did they do them hot?
and is the level in the expansion bottle dropping? or just the radiator?
Not sure about the tests, but expansion bottle level seems intact, just radiator slightly drops

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
If radiator level is dropping and expansion bottle is not (as in, its staying at the same level) then change the cap, its not sucking water back from the expansion tank when it cools down after running. Also says theres a leak somewhere too if the level in the expansion bottles not rising. Check the hose between the bottle and the radiator for cracks or signs of leakage.

Is the level in the expansion bottle rising as engine warms up? it should be on the full line, and rise when engine is hot, and drop to same level when cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If radiator level is dropping and expansion bottle is not (as in, its staying at the same level) then change the cap, its not sucking water back from the expansion tank when it cools down after running. Also says theres a leak somewhere too if the level in the expansion bottles not rising. Check the hose between the bottle and the radiator for cracks or signs of leakage.

Is the level in the expansion bottle rising as engine warms up? it should be on the full line, and rise when engine is hot, and drop to same level when cold.
Thanks, I wasn't sure which cap you meant so ordered both. Should it resolve the issue, I'll let you know. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
my bad, was meaning Radiator cap, coolant expansion bottle cap is just a cover to keep water from sloshing out, and bugs from getting in, that one free breathes to atmosphere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cap change didn't help. Still after 45-60 minutes gone into "red mark". Checked expansion vessel just as it went hot and level was much higher than "full" so it's going it's job. I have no idea what else could it be...

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
faulty water pump, head gasket or stuck thermostat are about the only other causes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts