Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on this forum and hoping for some ideas on what to check first. Can't really afford to go through lots of different things to figure out the problem. Battery purchase didn't work so what would I look at next? When I would try to start the car it clicks. The radio, lights and other things still work.

I've done the following so far:

Jumped the car and it would start but when I would turn it off, I couldn't get it started again unless I jumped it again.
Bought a new battery and installed yesterday. Able to drive around after that.
When I got up today it started but when I turned the car off at the gas station; it would not start again. Something completely depleted the brand new battery.

Model is GVJLXSELTD

Could this be an alternator problem? I just had it jumped ONE more time and I drove home. Won't start again now.

Help please! :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
First time on this forum and hoping for some ideas on what to check first. Can't really afford to go through lots of different things to figure out the problem. Battery purchase didn't work so what would I look at next? When I would try to start the car it clicks. The radio, lights and other things still work.

I've done the following so far:

Jumped the car and it would start but when I would turn it off, I couldn't get it started again unless I jumped it again.
Bought a new battery and installed yesterday. Able to drive around after that.
When I got up today it started but when I turned the car off at the gas station; it would not start again. Something completely depleted the brand new battery.

Model is GVJLXSELTD

Could this be an alternator problem? I just had it jumped ONE more time and I drove home. Won't start again now.

Help please! :)
Kimmi
you haven't mentioned where you are located or anything about your ability. So please post back.

The reason I ask is most auto parts stores today will check your battery and alternator for FREE. Prob a good first step unless you are handy and have a voltmeter.

When you post back do mention if you see white stuff on your battery cable and what condition those cables are in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No 'white stuff'. Bought a NEW battery yesterday for it; they installed - cleaned the terminals etc. When I can get a jump again today will go to Auto Zone and have them run the computer test. I had a friend look under the hood just a bit ago; said the alternator looked pretty new so gonna check with the mechanic tomorrow and see if its still under warranty. Could it be anything else besides a bad alternator?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
No 'white stuff'. Bought a NEW battery yesterday for it; they installed - cleaned the terminals etc. When I can get a jump again today will go to Auto Zone and have them run the computer test. I had a friend look under the hood just a bit ago; said the alternator looked pretty new so gonna check with the mechanic tomorrow and see if its still under warranty. Could it be anything else besides a bad alternator?
Sure it could bad connections. Have you checked the connections at the starter?
The ground cable?
Have a volt/ohm meter?

For the record who is the they in "they installed"?

What size battery did "they installed"?

Does this GV have auto ON headlights? Have you been checking to see they are OFF?

Any other aftermarket accessories?

·
Super Moderator
24,456 Posts
If the car is 'clicking' when you are trying to start it, chances are it is the starter solenoid going bad - you can check this by removing the wire to the small spade connector on the starter, and jumping that connector to the large bolt that has the cable coming directly from the battery. Does the car crank properly now? While the starter needs a good charged battery in order to work (and you can check this by using your DVM across the battery terminals - with the car off, your battery should read 12.6v or similar. When you start the car, the reading should be 14v or so, which would show that the alternator is charging the battery).
You don't advise what transmission you have - if it is manual, will the car start by jump/starting it? (coasting and popping the clutch in 2nd). Or will it start with jumper cables to another car?

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts