1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry, but those prices suck.

Suzukiparts.com 1 piston = $74.50.
$298 for 4 pistons....and only pistons.

OR!

some place like rocky-road.com, where you can buy a full engine rebuild kit, and specify piston size and you get a full kit.

What's Included in Our Samurai Engine Rebuild Kits:

Gasket Set, Pistons & Rings (standard, .020 over, or 040 for 1.3l only), Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Rear Main Seal, Timing Belt, and Valve Stem Seals.

cost? $284.00

Yea, that's a no-brainer.

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
Ever compared an aftermarket piston to an SGP one? I mean held the two side by side and examined them?

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
It's just typical OE parts verses aftermarket available items. :)

You get what you pay for. MOST times.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ever compared an aftermarket piston to an SGP one? I mean held the two side by side and examined them?
Typically pistons are made from one of a few types of materials. Also, they pretty much have to fall within a certain spec to work in the engine. So aside from buying high end pistons that you would see in a high output hot rod or race car (not typically in a 64 hp Samurai).... I don't see the purpose.
We aren't building crazy amounts of compression and / or heat in our engines. So it's going to be more dependent on tolerances.

A good machine shop won't just bore your engine to what you ask. They will also ask if it's forced induction or NA so they can spec the tolerances correctly. They will also want their hands on your pistons so they can spec it out PER CYLINDER and per the build material of the pistons and the type of rings being used. If you don't have them reassemble the rotating assembly, then they will tell you which one goes in each hole.

Sorry, but it's a waste of money.

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
I'll take that as a NO.

You're not talking to a first timer here - I built my first engine 30+ years ago, and by the way, the machine shop I use will give me exactly what I ask for - he will question me if he does not agree, and we will discuss the options - but at the end of the day he will do as I request - he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Back to the use of SGP parts - I'll make the decision on whether I want to use SGP or aftermarket on a case-by-case basis, after obtaining the necessary quotations - I don't see a point in using a cheaper aftermarket part, just because it's cheaper if I'm going to have to be replacing it every few months.

I'm also going to name one specific part where I will ALWAYS use SGP - believe it or not - the oil filter - I'll pay double the cost of the aftermarket filters for the SGP and change them every three months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I guess the delta here is what is considered aftermarket vs CHEAP aftermarket. OEM distributors tend to rape you for OEM parts. I haven't built a Zuk engine yet. But I wouldn't just buy Ebay pistons. It would be a reputable name... And when it comes to that comparison, typically the OEM part is the "cheap" crap in comparison.

At the same token, I find it hard to believe that the enthusiast websites would sell the Ebay knock off stuff. I've been shocked before though. lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts