Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the belt idler and tensioner? I seems like I have to lift the motor up a bit to be able to fully remove the bolt from the tensioner and nut from the idler...

·
Registered
43 Posts
How do you remove the belt idler and tensioner? I seems like I have to lift the motor up a bit to be able to fully remove the bolt from the tensioner and nut from the idler...
I have done belt kit installation on 1.6 Engine and didn't have to lift the engine. Just removed the passenger side engine support to get full access to the belt area. I think you just spring it back and remove it. It's been a while. Also, don't forget to change the water pump while you're in there, good measure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have replaced the idler and tensioner and idler on a 2000 1.8, the idler required removing the engine mount and slightly moving the engine away from the inner fender to provide clearance. A jack (with a wood block to protect it) under the oil pan was used to support the engine and carefully lift it at little. The tensioner is accesed from above and below and was easy.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,682 Posts
I have replaced the idler and tensioner and idler on a 2000 1.8, the idler required removing the engine mount and slightly moving the engine away from the inner fender to provide clearance. A jack (with a wood block to protect it) under the oil pan was used to support the engine and carefully lift it at little. The tensioner is accesed from above and below and was easy.
Did you try accessing via the wheel well, remove tire and inner wheel arch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I most definatly removed the tire and plastic lower cover to replace the tensioner and tensioner pulley, I suppose they could be left on place but acces is much improved unless you can get directly underneath. The idler can be replaced from the top. The air filter box and hose need to be removed but you've probably done that. I'm not sure what you mean by "inner wheel arch", maybe "inner fender liner"? No, I did not remove that piece.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "inner wheel arch", maybe "inner fender liner"? No, I did not remove that piece.
the plastic piece behind the tyre that gives you access to the engine via the wheel well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts