Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, i have a Suzuki escudo with the j20a engine. The problem I am having is it has just started rattling. This sounds exactly like timing chain rattle which is not uncommon for this type of engine. You can hear the rattle on a cold start for a few seconds then it goes away, you can still slightly hear it when it's warm but you have to listen closely. This engine has 200,000 kms on it. I was just wondering is it worth it to fix the timing chain with this amount of kms. The engine also has a little bit of piston slap. Should I replace the timing chain or just get a new engine if this one blows up. How long can I expect it to last with the rattling at startup. I do not thrash the engine when it's cold or warm.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
If its rattling change it before one of the guides lets go and kills the motor. If it's not burning oil and maintenance is done regularly then I'd do the chain, tensioner and guides

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have only had the car for a year so I'm not sure about the maintenance part but I have already done some work so may aswell keep going I guess. I have done the rear main seal clutch and front struts
The truck is pretty tidy and does not burn oil or use water.

How much do you reckon it would cost for a mechanic to do the timing chain tensioners and guides?

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Mechanic doing it? Not cheap, parts about $300 Labour another 800 ish maybe more. I'm guessing theres a days work in it easily, go get a quote

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah haha, I would have no clue how to do it myself if it's more than 1500 nzd I'm gonna say stuff it and wait for it to blow up the truck was only 4 grand and a newer more modern engine would probably be cheaper

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Newer? More modern? Hmmm, you will be fitting what's in it now, about 8k from the wreckers for a good one here, if you can find one

·
Super Moderator
24,271 Posts
It might be a wise idea to actually identify where the noise is coming from, rather than saying ‘it sounds like....’, etc. If you don’t have a mechanic’s stethoscope, you can use a length of garden hose, a long screwdriver or anything similar, putting one end to your ear and the other to various areas of the engine, to identify the source of the noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I've already spent 1500 on it I feel like it's too late to go back now especially if it goes ahead and fails it's next wof for rust or some shit then I get to junk a 7,500 dollar car that I had for less than a year

·
Super Moderator
13,168 Posts
Just a suggestion - the serpentine belt pulleys on the front of the engine can also be noisy - bring the engine up to temp and then remove the belt and start the engine and let it idle whilst you listen to it - don't run it without the belts for more than a few minutes, or it will over heat - also spin the idler & tensioner pulleys by hand, if there is any noise or roughness, replace them.

·
Super Moderator
24,271 Posts
I've already spent 1500 on it I feel like it's too late to go back now especially if it goes ahead and fails it's next wof for rust or some shit then I get to junk a 7,500 dollar car that I had for less than a year
How about you get to part out a car with parts needed by others, and probably get back more cash than you put into it? Just a thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts