Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New guy on the forum.;)

The other day, while changing the sparkplugs on my mother's 2000 Grand Vitara I noticed something rather "strange" in the automotive world.

This car has 400k kilometers in the odometer and this J20A is runninng like a champ, it's comsuming a little oil (arround 1/2L every 6k kilometers). But the thing is... This engine is STOCK. We have NEVER changed a piston, ring, rod, timing chain, etc.

So, I know Suzuki uses good components on their cars. But i think there's something more here.

So my question is: Do the Suziki engines have cromed cylinders or something?

The timing chain is making a horrible noise when you crank the car, but it gets silent after its running, The valve lifters make a noise with cold oil, that goes away instantly if you shut down the engine and turn it on right after. But I have NEVER seen a car with this many kilometers and not making a huge cloud of smoke. Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the cylinders aren't chrome plated, just a cast iron liner in an aluminium alloy block, but, I know of folks with close to 500,000 kms on the V6 Grand Vitaras with no issues, in general, if you stay on top of the maintenance, they will last.

Regarding the timing chain & lifter noise - make sure you're using an oil filter with an anti-drain back valve and use the correct grade of oil for your climate, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regarding the timing chain & lifter noise - make sure you're using an oil filter with an anti-drain back valve and use the correct grade of oil for your climate, and see if that helps.
About this, We've tried literally every filter brand and the sounds just won't go away. Same with the oil grade and brand.

Speaking about engines. How do the other suzuki engines behave? In my country the V6 engine of automatic G.Vitaras is known for problems in the timing chain. And the little K12 is also know for bending the intake valves at 200k Km. If the timing chain is not replaced.

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
It's not about the brand of filter as much as it is about using the correct filter for the application - one of the most common filters is the Purolator (a reputable brand) L10028, it will fit most Toyotas and Suzukis, but, it does not have the anti-drain back valve that is required by the J series and H series Suzuki engines - you need to make sure that whatever brand you choose the part number is the appropriate one for the engine.

The Suzuki H & J series engines use hydraulic tensioners for the timing chains, if a filter without the anti-drain back valve is used, when the engine is switched off the oil in the lubrication system drains back into the oil pan and when the engine is started it takes several seconds for the cold thick oil to flow up into the tensioners and until this happens the chains are loose and will rattle, the same thing happens if too heavy a grade of oil is used.

If regular maintenance is not done and oil changes are skipped, sludge forms and will eventually block the passages leading to the tensioners and then the chains rattle all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On this car oil changes are made every 5-6k Km. Believe me, we have tried EVERY possible filter (whith and without the back-flow valve) and the thing still rattles like crazy in a cold start. Maybe a worn tensioner is discharging the sistem, or whatever, we don't know how frequently the last owner changed oil or anything. But other than that, it's a great engine. (We dont really care about this noise, as we are just buying the parts to rebuild it. timing kit, piston rings and gearbox bearings)

Going back to the suki' engines in general, about the K12 and the V6 i asked in a post before, what do you think of those problems?

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
I have no experience with the K series engines, the H series V6 is not particularly problematic, provided that it is properly maintained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Sr. Your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
By any chance do you know if the rapair manual for the mk1 Wagon R's includes the steps of how to reset the automatic transmission?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts