Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my SX4 in the latter part of July in Bakersfield, CA. Now I find that the delership has closed. I also find that the dealership in Lancaster, CA closed a month or so before that.

The closest dealer is in Canoga Park, CA which is 125 miles away. Without going into details it is an impossiblity for me to get warrenty service that distance away.

Has anybody else run into this problem of dealerships closing?

Has anybody heard of "authorized" service by non-dealers??

Is Suzuki going out of the automobile business???

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey I used to live out at Edwards in High School and had teachers that lived up there. Hows Kern County treat'n.

Our dealership is still open and while they have restructured a bit they are still going.

Actually here in the US Suzuki of America is actually an importer not part of Suzuki Motor Corp. In the USA they actually do the Motorcycles and Marine stuff too. Not going anywhere but if the Economy does not improve a bit who knows what could happen over the next few years. They need the Swift NOW!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Suzuki Dealer

I bought my SX4 in the latter part of July in Bakersfield, CA. Now I find that the delership has closed. I also find that the dealership in Lancaster, CA closed a month or so before that.

The closest dealer is in Canoga Park, CA which is 125 miles away. Without going into details it is an impossiblity for me to get warrenty service that distance away.

Has anybody else run into this problem of dealerships closing?

Has anybody heard of "authorized" service by non-dealers??

Is Suzuki going out of the automobile business???

I think the best way is to let American Suzuki know of this problem they should help out....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Texas Closures

I have an update from Texas. I live in the DFW metorplex, and 3 of the bigger dealers are already closed (Grapevine, Airport and Teape). The surviving dealerships that are still around are not adding much new stock, and the rest sell other lines (Honda, GM, etc). I hope that this does not spell doom for the Suzuki line in the US.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Last Saturday, May 9, I drove by Airport Suzuki in Irving and noticed that there were no cars on the lot except for 3 ragged-looking old beaters parked near the main door. Since this is the dealership where I bought my GV, I thought I'd call them the following Tuesday with a service question. The guy that answered the main phone number also claimed to be the service manager (???) and encouraged me to bring my GV in for service. I'd definitely be very wary of whoever answers the phone at that place. Their website is still active as if nothing has changed.

I drove by Grapevine Suzuki three weeks ago. There were no used cars on the lot, the service area was obviously closed and a relatively small number of new vehicles were crowded at the east end of the lot. If you visit the Grapevine Suzuki website, you can see that it's an internet-only kind of dealership - you call the dealership's phone number and it seems to go into one person's voicemail. So you can still buy from them, but good luck on service, follow-up, etc. My wife worked briefly for Grapevine Suzuki (an absolute nightmare) and she says that the contact person listed on the website isn't anyone she's heard of, so I doubt if any of your past problems with that dealership will be any of his concern.

It's too bad about Teape. They have a Suburu dealership in Hurst that seems to have a diminishing inventory. Their lot is maybe half-full. It's troubling that Teape Suzuki's website still seems to be in full swing. The factory needs to clean this mess up before shady (ok - shadier) salespeople rip customers off by using these formerly legitimate websites to sell Suzukis as new that aren't, double-selling the same vehicles, lying about warranties and service, etc. There are numerous possible scams. That sort of thing would definitely be the end of Suzuki in America. The memory of all those DaeWoo owners left holding the bag is still fresh in the minds of the automotive media.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DFW Closures

Yes, I drove by Grapevine yesterday, and the lot was completely empty. They still have a girl answering the main line, and she said that they have officially closed. I also called Airport (Which is where I bought my 2008 SX4 Crossover) and they said they have also stopped selling new cars, but might stay open selling used cars. I then called Empire Suzuki in Plano, and the salesman actually told me (without actually saying that they might close) that they have stopped getting new Suzukis in at the moment and are just trying to sell what stock they have. Suzuki of McKinney, wouldn't really say anything other than they will stay open because the carry multiple lines of cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far as I can tell, that leaves Empire and Neal Suzuki in this area. Is there anyone else? This situation seems so strange since 2007 looked like a big year for the brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Closures

Steve:

I'm not really sure, but it is getting alarming if any service issues come up.
My 2008 runs great, but that is at the 27,000 mile mark, and I do alot of driving. One of the main reasons I got the car (besides the styling and mileage) was for the 100,000/7 year warranty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One on my semi local Suzuki dealers who did some of my services just closed in OHIO. I am now basically forced to drive 187 miles to Pennsylvania for service and Warranty work... This is a major problem for Suzuki. I guess if you are lucky enough to live close to a large dealer you are very fortunate.

2008 GV LUX RR Lift 30" Tires
2007 SX-4 Bone Stock ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hang in there...I think that this is only going to be a problem in the short run.
You'll see new dealers that were formerly Chrysler or GM dealers that lost their
franchises pick up Suzuki. The hat trick for this to work is for Suzuki to secure
floorplan financing for their dealers. You'll also see some retailers that have had
"one foot in the grave" like Johnnys Suzuki in Moncks Corner, SC, sell their franchises
to ex-GM or ex-Chrysler dealers (ummm Strom Altman Dodge>>>>Strom Altman Suzuki)!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Suzuki dealer in Bakersfield, CA folded last July, but a mutiple car dealer by the name of Family Motors re-established the Suzuki franchise in February of this year.

Good to see that happen and I hope they can keep it going.

Big Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dallas Suzuki Dealership Closures

Yes, it's true that most of the dealerships mentioned here are closing or already closed. Here's the good news for Dallas Suzuki owners: There will be a Suzuki parts and service center opening in Dallas very soon to support owners left in the wake of all the Suzuki dealer closings here in the DFW market.

I know the person opening the service center. Very knowledgeable, passionate about the brand, and an auto parts veteran.

Look for press releases and information forthcoming.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This will be great news, especially if they do warranty work. I've had a heck of a time ordering a blower motor, but I finally got my hands on it. I'm just glad it wasn't something more important!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dallas Suzuki Warranty Work

Yes, the Suzuki service center opening in Dallas will provide OEM parts and warranty work.

For now, you can order parts by visiting Suzuki Auto Parts or call Craig at the number listed on the site. He will be relaunching an online store with a full selection of Suzuki auto parts, accessories, diagrams, and part selection tools.

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
That place appears to be an aftermarket and used parts source.

You can still get genuine OE parts all day long at this Texas Suzuki dealer... ;)

OEM Suzuki Parts

·
Registered
5 Posts
OEM Suzuki Auto Parts

Currently, when visiting www.suzukiautoparts.net it has a placeholder with some banner ads. When the service center opens, the site will be relaunched with a full-fledged Suzuki parts / OEM catalog and online ordering.

Working out the details on the building. Stay tuned for more information soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
closures

Five dealerships here in Florida near me have closed. The worst part is i bought my grand vitara at the end of Dec because they offered me a free oil change and tires for the life of the loan if i did my services there. When i returned for my first service they were closed. I tried others and found 4 others closed finally found 2 that were opened and none will honor my service agreement because it was from a different dealer and each dealer is independently owned. I called Suzuki of America and they said i was out of luck too and just recently found out of some other closures. So there is only one dealer within 150 miles when there used to be one in every decent sized city. I think the only reason it is still open is because it is a Buick Gmc dealer too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tires for Life

Five dealerships here in Florida near me have closed. The worst part is i bought my grand vitara at the end of Dec because they offered me a free oil change and tires for the life of the loan if i did my services there. When i returned for my first service they were closed. I tried others and found 4 others closed finally found 2 that were opened and none will honor my service agreement because it was from a different dealer and each dealer is independently owned. I called Suzuki of America and they said i was out of luck too and just recently found out of some other closures. So there is only one dealer within 150 miles when there used to be one in every decent sized city. I think the only reason it is still open is because it is a Buick Gmc dealer too.
I'll never fall for that scheme when I buy my next car. The same thing happened to me when I bought my 08 SX4 sedan from Johnnys Suzuki in
Moncks Corner, SC (near Charleston, SC). They folded and I knew that was the end for me for "free tires for life". We've gone most of this year in the Charleston market without a Suzuki dealer until this month we've gotten Stom Altman (formerly Dodge) to pick up Suzuki. These folks have been in business for decades running their business in a no-nonsense way without resorting to gimmicks. Free Tires for Life or Free Oil Changes for life programs probably never work out for the consumer in the long run. Do like me and chaulk this one up to experience!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this is the first and last suzuki i will own i am going back to my toyotas and occassional chevy from now on my grand vitara has 9000 miles on it and the fabric on the seats is fraying already. my 2000 sienna minivan has one busted stitch on the front passenger seat and it has 204,000 miles on it and i just had to replace a 70 dollar coil pack which i diagnosed and fix myself first money i've put in it except for oil tires and brakes.

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
Socarboy...

The same thing happened to me when I bought my 08 SX4 sedan from Johnnys Suzuki in Moncks Corner, SC (near Charleston, SC).
According to our Post and Courier newspaper... "The statement directed customers seeking Suzuki service to Johnny's Service Center in Moncks Corner." So I guess you can still get parts and service there, but not new Zuki's. :)

Johnny's Suzuki closes - The Post and Courier

1 - 20 of 23 Posts