Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum! I need some help and advice please. I have a 2014 Suzuki Alto. It is causing me so much stress at the minute as it is temperamental if it will start or not. Sometimes it starts straight away and sometimes it will not start at all. It will not turn over. I have tried my 2nd key and sometimes it will start and I can drive am sometimes it won't either. I've had a new starter motor fitted a new crank shaft sensor fitted. The battery has been checked over and apparently it's 100%.
When it won't start if I leave it 10/15 minutes it will start.
It is causing me so much stress as I never know what to expect with it. I don't want to keep replacing things if it's not that. There is no lights that are flashing and by the time I've rang the RAC to help it starts first time for them. Ant help or advice much appreciated!!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,757 Posts
You need to start diagnosing instead of changing parts..

Explain what it does when is does no start... nothing, clicking, crank (rotating) but not starting...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to start diagnosing instead of changing parts..

Explain what it does when is does no start... nothing, clicking, crank (rotating) but not starting...
It cranks but doesn't turn over if that makes sense. It feels like it's about to start but doesn't. All the lights come on. I've only changed parts because I was told by the RAC it was the starter motor and then a couple of months later the garage told me I needed a new crank shaft sensor. It can go weeks and work perfectly fine and then it can go a a couple of short journeys in one day and not start. Thanks

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
OK, what are your skills and tool set ?

Do you know how to use a meter and test light....

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Based on what you have said, my first inclination would be to check for a fuel delivery issue then spark.

1. Spray some starter fuel in to the throttle body, then try to start...(checking for lack of fuel)
  2. push your gas pedal to the floor and try starting (checking for a flooded condition)..
  3. Using a 12vdc test light, disconnect a spark plug and check for spark (clipped to a good engine ground and pointy end to the spark wire/coil) (checking for spark while cranking)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on what you have said, my first inclination would be to check for a fuel delivery issue then spark.

1. Spray some starter fuel in to the throttle body, then try to start...(checking for lack of fuel)
  2. push your gas pedal to the floor and try starting (checking for a flooded condition)..
  3. Using a 12vdc test light, disconnect a spark plug and check for spark (clipped to a good engine ground and pointy end to the spark wire/coil) (checking for spark)
View attachment 101832

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your help! I am going to do this and hopefully get to the bottom of it. I was thinking it might be something to do with the key or immobilizer. Cars hey thanks again!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
101917[/ATTACH]
I had the RAC take a look and he was unsure at first but seems to think it's the computer. These are the error codes that came up.
There is no engine light on and no loss of power. It does not judder or stall when at lights. It's literally sometimes I can't get it to start. I thought the computer was suppose to last the lifetime of the car? It's only done 40,000 miles. He has did connected the battery and it started first time and has been fine since. I am worried that I need this work doing and how much it's going to cost. thanks any advice appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
The RAC guy is full of BS, That is indicative of a comms issue, could be low battery power or poor power/ground to the ECM or |BMC..

If it reoccurs get the services of an auto diagnostician, not RAC or mechanic...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The RAC guy is full of BS, That is indicative of a comms issue, could be low battery power or poor power/ground to the ECM or |BMC..

If it reoccurs get the services of an auto diagnostician, not RAC or mechanic...
Okay thanks so much!! I've been driving it (against the RAC advice) and it's been fine since it's probably wishful thinking on my part. There is no engine light on(and never has been) and it actually feels better to drive. I'll see how it goes! Thanks again for your help!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts