Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Have been shopping around for an affordable family car. Suzuki APV is on the top of my list. However, i haven't read any reviews yet about this model. Can anybody help me out? :( Went to one of the dealers for a test run. The ride was not as smooth as i was hoping for. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can only share my experience as I too haven't found any APV reviews on the net. I'm also from the Philippines BTW.

As a previous owner of Honda SUVs and minivans such as the 2001 MDX, 2002 2.4L CR-V, 1999 Odyssey (2nd gen) and 1996 Odyssey (1st gen), the 2005 APV isn't that bad considering that it offers the best 2nd row and 3rd row leg room not to mention the best 3rd row entry. A/T is also smoother than my 1999 3.5L V6 and 1996 2.2L SOHC Odysseys but Honda seem to have gotten it right (perfection in motion) in the 2nd gen CR-V. Been to Baguio and Subic with an observed mileage of 8.2 km/l. City driving is a different story though as it can be as low as 6.1 km/l. The small 1.6L engine produces adequate power probably because of its mid-engine/rear wheel drive configuration. It also has a great view of the road though the A-pillars seems to be a little too thick for visibility. With my 3M magic tints intact, the A/C's cooling prowess seems up there with the best. Infact, I thought it rivals my MDX's 19k BTU cooling system that slightly exceeds the heating and cooling capacity found in the average STET home (an 18K BTU A/C will cool an average 1100 sq ft home). It can cool the cavernous interior of the APV that was left under the sun for a day in seconds. BUT after a stone-throwing accident that got the tints removed, the A/C looks average (will install 3M magic tints again this week). Ergonomics seems to be at par with its Jap counterparts. The 2-DIN stereo w/ 6 speakers, reverse warning audible, 60/40 2nd/3rd row split seats, fog lights (which adds to an already good night visibility), and large side mirrors are also a pleasant surprise in this price range.

Nuff of the good stuffs and on to my rants. My main gripe as experienced are the tires. Besides being too puny looking, it could use a better set of quality tires that will not loose its grip of the road during emergency maneuvers. Although it is asking for too much in this price range, ABS would be a nice addition. I hate to bring this up as all the SUV's and tall station wagons are prone to rollover but the cornering of the APV is worse than the Montero I drove in the states (although we have to keep in mind that the APV's target audience are the family man thus the precious cargo). Steering is also numb on center and the 3rd row passengers better bring their combs after the ride.

The engine being under the drivers seat is a non-issue as Suzuki have done a good job of isolating the engine heat and noise . It also has its radiator under the hood for better ventillation which should give us peace of mind against overheating. And if this is not enough, Suzuki Philippines has thrown in a 3-year warranty and a 2-year free maintenance.

BTW, we got our unit for PHP 715K (w/ PHP 4K discount, free 3M magic tint, and free registration) and am beginning to be a Suzuki believer (am currently contemplating on getting the Swift as a 2nd car but the steep price is a deal breaker).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!

I'm Rommel from Rizal, Philippines. I had just got my APV A/T last week.

I found Macky's reply very interesting and informative.

So far, I am very satisfied with my APV although I haven't use it much since I have a scooter to service me to and from work. My odometer reads only 50Kms

Good Day!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's the ideal RIM/TIRE size that can fit to my APV aside from the stock 185 R14? I am looking forward of purchasing a larger diameter RIMS and low-profile Tires, but can't configure the optimal sizes.

I think it will greatly help cushion those bumps and aesthetics :grin:

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your posts. It was very helpful.

I'm planning to visit Suzuki next week and schedule a road test for their A/T. I'm very much impressed with your posts on its capabilities and I must say that it's not that bad at all for its price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:) Hi
Am from Singapore and have booked my APV. Due to the overwhelming respond in Indonesia, I am getting mine somewhere in Jan or Feb 2006. Not expecting much on the peformance but it is truly a practical vehicle that is value for money.

Ridzwan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Avid APVers

Hallo Everyone!

I just got on board the other day and I've been reading your comments and observations on the APV. I should be getting mine in a few days.

Do you guys have new grins and groans to share about your APV?

I'd be very grateful!

Thanks a lot!

Henry:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All

Am from SG and new here in the Suzuki forums, currently I'm still driving a Hyundai Matrix 1.6A GLS.

Looking forward to purchase an APV any comments?

I'm looking for comfort and smooth ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's the correct "break in" distance for the suzuki apv. I hear its 5000 km before the new engine could become adjusted and reach it's fuel efficiency. Any comments on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Overdrive

I'm a newbee with my new apv and I have a quick question. What does the overdrive button on my automatic transmission apv do and what is it's purpose? hope you all could shed some light on this. Thanks much..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I often travel in hi-ways going to and from our province. I just recently tried using the overdrive button of my APV. Before I just ignore it. I just need to clarify something. Is the overdrive of the apv activated by default? When I was traveling 70 kph and above I pressed the O/D button and a light appears near the fuel gauge saying "O/D off". After that the engine became more noisy and the I felt more engine vibration which is the opposite of what the overdrive is supposed to do. So does this mean my apv was already achieving fuel effieciency and low rpms before? Hope anyone out there can clarify on this. Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, you were in overdrive. When the light is on you are not, not in overdrive. When you switched off the o/d your revs went up and that is why your eng sounded noisy. Overdrive is used when travelling on the highway to lower revs and save gas and keep the eng from working to hard. You can leave the o/d on all the time and it will not hurt anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Im from Metro Manila, Philippines. I plan to buy an affordable family car by the end of the month. The suzuki APV is on top of my list, besting avanza and innova. For one, APV is more spacious than avanza and a lot cheaper than innova.

I prefer manual transmission over automatic for so many reasons (i.e, more driver control, fuel efficiency, im just used to it, etc...)

However, while checking out the model units, i was dissapointed to see that the manual transmission (M/T) has NO REAR AIRCONDITION (a/c). While the automatic transmission (A/T) model has it, why did they remove the rear aircon for M/T? How come?

I asked the account officer whether the MT model can be installed rear a/c. He said yes for an additional Php 35,000 and i have to wait for at least 1 week for installation. However, the warranty of the van will be void. I ask again...how come???

Please, someone.....enlighten me on this... !!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Vik said:
Hi! Im from Metro Manila, Philippines. I plan to buy an affordable family car by the end of the month. The suzuki APV is on top of my list, besting avanza and innova. For one, APV is more spacious than avanza and a lot cheaper than innova.

I prefer manual transmission over automatic for so many reasons (i.e, more driver control, fuel efficiency, im just used to it, etc...)

However, while checking out the model units, i was dissapointed to see that the manual transmission (M/T) has NO REAR AIRCONDITION (a/c). While the automatic transmission (A/T) model has it, why did they remove the rear aircon for M/T? How come?

I asked the account officer whether the MT model can be installed rear a/c. He said yes for an additional Php 35,000 and i have to wait for at least 1 week for installation. However, the warranty of the van will be void. I ask again...how come???

Please, someone.....enlighten me on this... !!!
hi bro, kindly visit our suzuki filipino forum at Welcome to Club Carry Philippines, an online Filipino Suzuki community.. thanks! hope to see you there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts