Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a 1997 Suzuki Alto automatic. Although thiscar has very little in the toys department I have become attached to it. I have only had this car for the past 2 months and I have noticed that it is very thirsty (approx 27mpg).

I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if so how have you rectified this problem?

Ta for your comments,

Istifa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I bought a 2002 Alto mid-October, the same model that you have except for having a manual gearbox. I monitor the fuel consumption every tankful, my worst figure has been 46.7mpg and the best 61.7 - in a combination of urban and rural driving; automatics are never as economical as manuals but even so your 27mpg seems a bit low.

The 993cc engine is a bit underpowered by modern standards, and so you have to push hard to keep up with the average car in terms of acceleration which will affect fuel consumption; as will steep hills which this car does not like at all. The little Alto prefers to be treated gently.

My personal opinion is that no 1-litre engine is man enough to handle an automatic box, but if you keep the car well serviced and don't wear your lead boots, you should notice good average figures. I would think that 35-40mpg should be relatively easily achievable in a small 1-litre auto, and given the performance I get from the same engine with a manual box, perhaps more.

I bought my Alto because I needed a cheap, reliable runabout. All the magazines say that this car offers excellent reliability and good economy, but the Alto is known to be intolerant to any attempt to stretch its service intervals. Look after the old girl, and she should look after you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts