Suzuki Forums banner

Suzuki Alto K10 2013 Gear Oil Confusion

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Boosterjet 
#1 ·
Dear members,

I just got my 2013 Suzuki Alto K10 gear oil changed, The indi used Gronville 75w90 GL5, While manual says GL4. Below is image of oil he used. He and the part supplier believe its compatible and there is no issue, But I am concerned. Can any expert guide, should I change it right away or it can run for 6-8 months (2500 to 3000 miles)

Fluid Kitchen appliance Output device Gas Home appliance

See less See more
#2 ·
If Suzuki specified a GL4 oil for the gearbox, then using a GL5 has a risk of damage to the synchromesh rings. There are GL5 oils that can be used in place of a GL4, however, that will be stated on the container, and that container specifically says ...

Suitable for use in any gearbox or hypoid back axle where a GL5 oil of EP75W, 80 or 90 viscosity is required
If it has said GL4 or GL4/GL5 or something along those lines, it might have been acceptable, because it doesn't I would suggest you replace it with a GL4 as soon as possible.

#3 ·
If Suzuki specified a GL4 oil for the gearbox, then using a GL5 has a risk of damage to the synchromesh rings. There are GL5 oils that can be used in place of a GL4, however, that will be stated on the container, and that container specifically says ...

If it has said GL4 or GL4/GL5 or something along those lines, it might have been acceptable, because it doesn't I would suggest you replace it with a GL4 as soon as possible.
Thank you - Yes I believe I have to change it to be on safe side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.