Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its almost 2 months since my GV started to fail, I did a post about problems with idle and was told that it was the Camshaft position sensor, because it once pulled that code.
I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the problem still persists.

The problem is that the car idles after 20-30 min of use, at first it only used to idle when I pushed hard on the gas, but now it idles even if I dont push hard on the gas.

I have no codes popping up, I saw a video on YouTube that it had similar problems and NO codes and it ended up being one O2 sensor, I just ordered the 4 of them I'll get them replace as soon as I get them.

Has anyone had the same problem before?

I have spent around $500 in parts trying to find the problem :(

Thanks guys!!

2001 GV 2.5L v6 75k

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
ummm....engines are supposed to idle when you don't push the gas, if its idling after you push the gas then thats an issue. I suppose you could be describing a "gas pedal not connected to engine" scenario but is it an electronic issue or a mechanical one?
what exactly are you trying to say? or describe? I'm sorry, your post does not make sense.

what exactly are the symptoms, when is it doing it, and why have you fired the parts cannon before diagnosing properly?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It bounces the reps from 150 to less then 500rpm and at some point if I dont push the gas it turns off, then I restart the engine and I runs perfectly fine.

Another symptom that I just noticed is that it doesn't start on the first attempt it just cranks but dosent start. It starts at the second try.

I already replaced spark plugs and fuel filter.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
The question again, why are you guessing and wildly throwing parts at it?

What have you done to diagnose the issue? Do you have any test equipment?

Have you cleaned the throttle body?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
so, its an "unstable" idle issue with reduction in idle speed until it stalls (i'm assuming this is only when warm? or does it do it cold as well?), and a secondary "hard start" issue.

Start diagnosing, O2 sensors will not affect starting, and usually don't affect idling like this.

As Philip says, start with a throttle body clean.

Does it always "not start" first time? but does second try? if this is the case, starting fluid first start will soon prove if theres spark there or not.

Have you checked fuel pressure when cranking? and when idling?

·
Registered
243 Posts
A great example of firing the parts cannon at a vehicle and expecting it to fix the problem. Please, before spending another dime on parts, buy a cheap scan tool. They can be had for less than $15 and allow you to do a lot of troublehooting. Plug the adapter into the OBDII Port, connect with your smart device and go to town

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
I can't disagree over the advice here to get a proper scan tool. I'm learning too and it's a must for newer cars.

HOWEVER I don't know if its such a bad idea to install new spark plugs and a fuel filter, or even a couple O2 sensors if they're a potential suspect. I say, while you're in there, replace the plugs and other wear items that could reasonably be related to your problem.

[pause for criticism...]

I mean, first of all, he knows how to replace the CPS so he knows which end of the wrench to hold, right? Give the guy some credit for trying. Not everyone seeking advice on this forum has the same skill level; I know that from personal experience.

The OP said "no codes" initially so apparently he knows about OBD. I don't know if I'd throw $500 in parts at the car without knowing what I was aiming at, but he's making a valiant effort and he's come to the right place for advice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
rallison203. so you are suggesting we sit back and zip up ?
Not at all. You guys are right. The proper way to approach this problem is with the proper tools.

I'm just saying that most people don't have that level of expertise and even fewer people actually LIKE doing this stuff, so if you're gonna take the time to do a repair, you might as well replace some other parts while you're in there. Like with my belts and hoses problem, described in another post. I wish I'd done the right thing and replaced all the rubber, not just the ones that looked bad.

Most shade tree mechanics know where to start looking. We get stuck when it comes to sophisticated diagnostics. Sometimes for me it's cheaper to start hanging parts than to take it to the repair shop. Plus, I'm learning at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, I've been pretty busy lately, but im back. I do have the an OBDII scanner, but the problem here is that it dosent throw any codes, I replaced all those parts or sensors because they were a possible reason that could cause the car to fail like this.

I got some friends that are mechanic and they are also concern about my car, we have tried almost everything.

I saw a YouTube video:

I checked the O2S with my OBDII and one of them, sometimes does the same thing as the one on the video.

Thanks to everyone that is here to help or learn, I do all the work most of the time, if I dont have the time or is to hard I take it to the mechanic, but I prefer to do it myself. That way I know everything is good.

If you dont know how to do something just go on YouTube, or a blog like this and you'll find the way to do it.

Thanks for your support guys.

Specially @rallison203 thanks buddy!!(y):)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sure, and to be clear, I am not advocating YT videos over a proper repair diagnosis. But they are helpful in a pinch.

BTW, I forgot to mention, you should download the Suzuki factory service manual from this site. Follow the top FAQ thread. I've learned a lot from it, and when you (we) have learned how to use the sophisticated scanning / diagnostic tools, the manual will come in quite handy.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Watching YT videos can give you pointers, but doesn't actually PROVE your component is faulty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
OK, you can pull the codes (or lack thereof) with your scanner. Does it also give you the ability to monitor real-time information from the ECU? If so, we have some things to look at. If not, this is one of the ones I use: veepeak BT OBDII
It's a very useful tool for basic troubleshooting.

As for the SMA video, I love watching Eric's videos. He's actually very good at troubleshooting and explaining the process. I think I actually go the term 'parts cannon' from him. There are a lot of crappy how-to videos on YT, but the SMA channel is really good. Just remember viewers, if Eric can do it, you can too. :)

Please go back and look at 2013GV's questions, and answer as many as you can. That will help us understand what's going on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure, and to be clear, I am not advocating YT videos over a proper repair diagnosis. But they are helpful in a pinch.

BTW, I forgot to mention, you should download the Suzuki factory service manual from this site. Follow the top FAQ thread. I've learned a lot from it, and when you (we) have learned how to use the sophisticated scanning / diagnostic tools, the manual will come in quite handy.
Do you have the link so I can take a look at it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, you can pull the codes (or lack thereof) with your scanner. Does it also give you the ability to monitor real-time information from the ECU? If so, we have some things to look at. If not, this is one of the ones I use: veepeak BT OBDII
It's a very useful tool for basic troubleshooting.

As for the SMA video, I love watching Eric's videos. He's actually very good at troubleshooting and explaining the process. I think I actually go the term 'parts cannon' from him. There are a lot of crappy how-to videos on YT, but the SMA channel is really good. Just remember viewers, if Eric can do it, you can too. :)

Please go back and look at 2013GV's questions, and answer as many as you can. That will help us understand what's going on.
Yes it does give me real time information, I dont remember the model but I bought it a couple of years ago at Oreally auto parts it's a Bosch brand.

·
Registered
243 Posts
OK, so as near as I can interpret: engine only runs with lots of throttle, and crappy at that. Hard to start, and when you back off the throttle it won't idle, just dies. Please confirm______________

Set up the scanner to watch the MAF sensor, MAP sensor and LTFT's during startup. Report back with the values you are seeing, both before starting and after.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts