Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anybody have recent experience with sunraysia style steel wheels? I'm looking for a straight replacement of my 16 inch wheels and ones that fit that standard 225/70/16 tyres.

Rang up a few tyre shops and all seemed doubtful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got Dynamic rims about 50 bucks each, running standard tyres. Track is a little wider but it causes no issues. Got them from a Bridgestone dealer. NGV.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just bumping this thread.

Looking at Dynamic or King wheels, and went to the local tyre shop and they flat out told me not to get them as guaranteed I'll get vibrations with my BFG all terrains due to the steel wheel bore being 84mm compared to GV 60.something mm. Also reckons can't use hub rings either to make them hub centric.

So has anybody with steel wheels running all terrains encountered these vibration issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
if they have straight shank or tapered wheel nuts then they will centre on the nuts. The factory alloys are semi hub centric but i have aftermarket steels on my 2013 now with 235/70/16 and they have a humongous 80 something mm bore and are on with normal tapered seat nuts and work fine.

As for the BFG all terrains, thats your choice, I don't like them, theres better tyres out there. I find the BFG's tend to be a pain to get balanced, or keep in balance. I'm running Hankook Dynapro RF10 AT/M and have 35,000 kms on the 2015 and are at 4.5 mm of tread left. Great in snow and our dirt roads, and reasonably good in mud too. drop to 18 psi in sand. Almost unstoppable with chains on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok that's good to know, thanks.

The BFGs are ok, I move them on when i put 70,000km on them. On my second set now with 40,000km on them. They get hard and noisy by 70,000km but otherwise i find them decent.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ive been using them since 98 and never had any balance problems. Tough as nails and great mileage. Not the best on greasy roads but what is.? Jusr drive very carefully through roundabouts.

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
Just bumping this thread.

Looking at Dynamic or King wheels, and went to the local tyre shop and they flat out told me not to get them as guaranteed I'll get vibrations with my BFG all terrains due to the steel wheel bore being 84mm compared to GV 60.something mm. Also reckons can't use hub rings either to make them hub centric.

So has anybody with steel wheels running all terrains encountered these vibration issues?

Thanks!
I'd be looking for a new source of information, your local tire shop is clueless - steel wheels are lug centric and cannot be made hub centric by the addition of hub rings

if they have straight shank or tapered wheel nuts then they will centre on the nuts. The factory alloys are semi hub centric but i have aftermarket steels on my 2013 now with 235/70/16 and they have a humongous 80 something mm bore and are on with normal tapered seat nuts and work fine.
A wheel is going to be either lug centric or hub centric - there is no such thing as semi hub centric - it's either one or the other and which one can be determined by visually examining the lug nut seats.

A lug centric wheel is so defined because it is centered by the lugs - these are easily recognized by the fact that they do not have a flat seat for the lug nuts - most will have tapered seats, but you will occasionally find a spherical or ball shaped seat. Once a wheel has tapered or spherical seats tightening the matching lug nuts will center the wheel.

A hub centric wheel is so defined because it is centered by a closing fitting hub bore and not the lugs - for a wheel to be hub centric the lug nut holes MUST be oversized AND the lug nut seats MUST be flat - these features allow the wheel to be centered by the hub bore with no interference from the lug nuts.

Lug nuts need to be matched not only to the thread size & pitch used on the vehicle, but also to the type of wheel they are being used with - wheels with tapered seats require nuts with a matching taper, wheels with spherical seats require nuts with a matching radius and wheels with flat seats require a shanked nut with a washer to properly spread the clamping load across the wheel surface, bearing in mind that the hole is larger than the lug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts