Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having intermittent problems with 4WD engaging for a few months and a local garage has had a good look and has found no pattern. A vacumn direct onto the hubs causes them to engage/disengage but the main vacumn system works one minute and not the next. The car has an extended warranty with a 3rd party which covers the 4WD system. My mechanic is recommending replacing the hydraulic hubs with manual free wheel hubs?

What are peoples thoughts? If its the right thing to do I would rather go with new parts so what are good sources for these?

Any help would be appreciated as the snow is coming again !

Rob

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The vacuum hubs have a lot of issues with the vacuum system malfunctioning. Some times it's in the diaphragm of the vacuum assist, sometimes its in the hoses... but when it's not working and you need them to engage... your screwed. The manual hubs are a fool proof solution, but not something that you can shift into on the fly. You need to get out and lock them in to use 4wd. There is also an auto hub cam locker.. I believe Warn makes one that works with the jimny hubs. It's a good compromise between the two.

edit: Never mind on the automechanical hubs for the jimny. I thought warn made a set for them but I can't find them now...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts