Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
121,000 miles and recently it’s become difficult to shift down from fifth to fourth. All other gear changes up and down are fine. Anybody experienced this? Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
121,000 miles and recently it’s become difficult to shift down from fifth to fourth. All other gear changes up and down are fine. Anybody experienced this? Thoughts?
check oil level in gearbox, check clutch is releasing fully. This is usually a sign somethings binding a bit. if you can shift fine with engine off, but not with it running and clutch in, then start looking at clutch components.

Stupid idea i know, but do you have a mat under the clutch pedal preventing full movement?

has this suddenly happened? or gotten gradually worse over the last several hundred miles?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a mat, and I doubt it’s clutch related, or lube. It’s only when there’s a 5-4 downshift. Every other downshift or upshift is just as wonderful as when she was new.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Not a mat, and I doubt it’s clutch related, or lube. It’s only when there’s a 5-4 downshift. Every other downshift or upshift is just as wonderful as when she was new.
thats the first shift you will notice a clutch starting to drag on.

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
thats the first shift you will notice a clutch starting to drag on.
I disagree - the first place you'll notice clutch drag is selecting first/reverse from a standstill.

Fifth to fourth downshift issues when all other changes are clean is more likely to be a worn fourth gear synchro

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also figured out it might be the sprung gate (reverse lock out) wearing and not allowing the shifter to return to the “H”. Perhaps?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I...he first place you'll notice clutch drag is selecting first/reverse from a standstill.Fifth to fourth downshift issues when all other changes are clean is more likely to be a worn fourth gear synchro
I like this.
However, for future readers of the wide world who would come to this thread in hope of finding solution to their problem, this is useless as we do not know which car, year, 5 or 6 speed transmission?, location (as all engine/transmission pairs are not the same in the world), etc, etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
The vehicle details aren't that significant in a discussion on clutch drag and synchromesh - almost all manual transmissions built for "non performance" applications behave similarly.

Worn synchros will display a greater tendency to "baulk" on a down-shift than they will on an up-shift, regardless of whether it's 6->5, 5->4, 4->3, etc.. This is caused by the fact that the difference in rotational speeds is higher when shifting down than it is when shifting up.

For the original poster - I doubt that the reverse lock out has anything to do with it - are you having difficulty moving the shift lever sideways?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No... it goes easily past the gate that accesses 5th and reverse. Only issue is sticking in fifth what attempting a 5>4 downshift.

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
So - not coming out of fifth to move sideways - or - not going into fourth after moving sideways?

A 5>4 downshift is actually 5>N>4, as there is a brief period when neither 4th or 5th is engaged.

Not going into fourth after moving sideways is the scenario I was describing earlier - that is likely to be a worn synchro.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm... just tries it with the car not running. Still hard to get out of fifth. Would that eliminate the syncro as a possible culprit ? Maybe a deformed or loose shifter fork?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts