Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my car is a suzuki sx4 4x4 09 plate and just come up to 70 thousand miles and when selecting 1st gear it doesn't drive it works and all other gears including reverse

Does this mean my gearbox is failing or Could it be an easier job

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
Try shifting with the engine off, if it goes in easily, it's an indication that the clutch is not disengaging fully.

By the way, the "09 plate" doesn't mean much to anyone outside of the UK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try shifting with the engine off, if it goes in easily, it's an indication that the clutch is not disengaging fully.

By the way, the "09 plate" doesn't mean much to anyone outside of the UK.
Hi goes in gear easy when engine is of its only when you lift clutch up nothing happens, no noise no movement but will drive perfectly from 2nd onwards

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
So you have no forward motion in first gear, but all other gears including reverse are OK? That'll be an internal transmission issue.

·
Registered
882 Posts
..suzuki sx4 4x4 09..70 thousand miles ..selecting 1st gear....
Fill up profile/signature with these and all other details...location, engine type, transmission type, AWD?, trim(can help for other issues) ..etc

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
It means that you need to find a transmission shop and have them take a look at it.

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
Don't put yourself down, the average man wouldn't know how to deal with a transmission problem either - and I'll just mention it - I'm a father of three daughters - all educated, qualified & accomplished professionals.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,688 Posts
I agree, don't diminish yourself, I have 4 daughters and 2 step daughters, they are all capable women and can put most men to shame.. my youngest and her daughter rebuilt an engine that a couple of mechanics refused to try...

They were all raised under the car when I needed some additional hands...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, don't diminish yourself, I have 4 daughters and 2 step daughters, they are all capable women and can put most men to shame.. my youngest and her daughter rebuilt an engine that a couple of mechanics refused to try...

They were all raised under the car when I needed some additional hands...
Thanks all much appreciated I know people like all car details on these posts but not sure what to do ? obviously with the virus epidemic I can't get to a garage or anything at the moment so she will have to sit in garden till I can... My son tried to get her moving but enen tho it's going into first gear... Even without the clutch down.. Just won't move he said I could still drive it from 2nd just get revs up.. But I'd rather not I'm scared it will do more damage I'm keeping fingers crossed its not going to cost me a gear box.. Clutch and flywheel because I simply can't afford it ?? thanks for your help xx

·
Registered
882 Posts
Gears are pushed in position by kind of a fork, itself moved by the stick shifter. Something might be broken or blocked at this level....meaning the rest of the transmission is still OK. Starting in 2nd is not a big issue.....at least on level ground or slight incline.
MAybe it is just a chaffed control cable....

Reactions: Ajmclean

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
Chances of the problem being external to the transmission (for example, a chafed cable) are, in my opinion, slim to nil - one cable handles the transverse or "side-to-side" selection, the other handles the "fore-aft" - she would either lose both first & second, if it were the transverse cable, or first, third & fifth, if it were the fore-aft cable.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
first and second use the same syncro sleeve, so if seconds ok thats ok. Cables would cause either 1 side or the "top" or "bottom" sections of the pattern to fail as Fordem has stated.
First gear in these boxes has a big snap ring holding it in place, (along with a few other washers and gears) if that lets go, the gear will slide on the shaft just enough that the syncro sleeve won't mesh with the first gear. I think a gearbox disassembly is in order here

1 - 14 of 14 Posts