Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have been using this forum religiously since I bought my 2005 Suzuki Forenza, and now I come with a question of my own!

I had a coolant leak from the EGR Adapter Bracket/Plate/Whatever you want to call it. I bought a new gasket thinking that was the source of my troubles. As I was reassembling the parts, I noticed I could not torque the smaller of the three bolts down, it would simply spin in place. Alas, I think that bolt hole was stripped out by the previous owner.

Does anyone have the specs/measurements on that smaller bolt, or experience in drilling it out and retapping for larger threads? I believe it was the lower left most bolt of the three that hold the EGR Adapter to the side of the engine block.

I'm thinking about using a Heli Thread kit to repair the damaged threads, but I'll take any advice from people more experienced than I!

Thank you all for any assistance you can provide!

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
I've no Forenza specific experience but I keep a stock of heli-coil in the common metric sizes handy - I think the only placed I've used them on any of my Suzukis has been the sway bar mounts, I've used them a lot more on a Mitsubishi that I also own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I found a youtube video of a guy tearing down his Forenza engine, and says that the (2) larger bolts are E14, and the smaller one is E12. Do you know if E12 would be compatible with an M12 heli coil kit?

Info I pulled off Google says that the external thread diameter is 12mm for both M12 and E12, which makes me think that an M12 kit would be the right choice for the job.

BTW, here's a link to that guys video. It's incredibly thorough!

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
Do you have a link to that "google info" - all google gives me for E12 is a lamp bulb base.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a link to that "google info" - all google gives me for E12 is a lamp bulb base.
And now that you say that, I see the chart I was looking at is pulled from the "Edison Thread" wikipedia page, >.<.

A little further Googling (and suppressing my embarrassment) and I found this chart, which says an E12 Torx bolt would ask for an M10 thread:

Am I interpreting this chart the correct way?

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
The E12 in the chart refers to the size of the external Torx head, so the size of the tool required to loosen or tighten it, rather than the thread size.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
E12 is M10, so a 10 mm thread, E14 is 12 mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts