Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at new tires that will be used strictly for off-road driving- think "Jeep trails". I don't deliberately seek out mud holes, don't do rock crawling, and will never see pavement. I will encounter mud, snow, dirt, and those things, I just don't seek them out- I need to get out and back w/out getting stuck! I also want to run no larger than 215/75-15 so as not to overtax the stock engine, allow clearance, etc.

I have a set of Hankook Dynapro MT's on my Ford F250 ranch truck and they work well. I can get a set of those in 215.

I've also been looking at the Super Swamper SSR-03R:

The only thing that I'm worried about with the SS's are the ride- all the reviews say it's rough. Will it be rough off-road, too?

I live 30 mi from a town of 2,000 and anything I get will be ordered in.

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If it is just dirt roads and simple trails, the Hancook tires will do you well. The Swampers ARE loud on the road, and they can have a 'memory' if parked for awhile (feels like a flat spot on the tire until the tire warms up). But the Swampers can't be beat on rough trails.
If you go with the Swampers, the radials are softer and will ride better, but they have a thinner sidewall. The bias ply tires have a thicker sidewall and can be almost bullet proof offroad (SX, Bogger). Just get the air pressure right for the trails you are on and they can be pretty smooth also (except the bogger).

Any of the more aggressive tires will be rougher on pavemant.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sidewalls are important. I think I'll go with the Hankooks. Like I said, they've proven themselves on my Ford. I live on a 26,000 acre ranch here in NM and the 'zuke will not even be licensed, running strictly on private land, strictly off-road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm looking at new tires that will be used strictly for off-road driving- think "Jeep trails". I don't deliberately seek out mud holes, don't do rock crawling, and will never see pavement. I will encounter mud, snow, dirt, and those things, I just don't seek them out- I need to get out and back w/out getting stuck! I also want to run no larger than 215/75-15 so as not to overtax the stock engine, allow clearance, etc.

I have a set of Hankook Dynapro MT's on my Ford F250 ranch truck and they work well. I can get a set of those in 215.

I've also been looking at the Super Swamper SSR-03R:

The only thing that I'm worried about with the SS's are the ride- all the reviews say it's rough. Will it be rough off-road, too?

I live 30 mi from a town of 2,000 and anything I get will be ordered in.

Any recommendations?
Bias tires are far and away the superior off-road tire. Low presure is realy hard on the thinner sidewalls of radials. If you are doing light off road(not rock crawling or bogging) a radial would be mor than adequate. I run a dunlop mud rover and am quite satisfied. The upper sidewall is a bit thin but the tread ply runs higher on the sidewall than most. the Sammi is light so it is more than enough.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I am not sure how much underbrush you have where you are at, but here around the El Paso/southern New Mexico area there are tons of yucca, mesquite and large spiney cactus that can really take its toll on sidewalls. The Swamper SX's were the best I ever used and never got a flat or sidewall puncture.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure how much underbrush you have where you are at, but here around the El Paso/southern New Mexico area
I went to college at Las Cruces, but NE New Mexico is a world apart from there. I have "some" prickly pear cactus, but my main threat is malpais rock.

Almost literally my backyard:

Hunting coyotes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
BF Goodrich MUD terrains
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM

I've had mine for ever... plenty of tread still on them. They don't let me down any time...
mud, rock, and the latest is 2' - 4' of snow. (yep, I push a 25" tall plow with my sammy.) But then I'm running 33x12.5
I'm also running 700lbs of sand/ballast in the back, Dana 44 with a limited slip in back.
The thing is like a tank. They just don't spin... only on ice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts