Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to charge the AC in my 1996 Tracker in preparation for taking it from CA to its new home in OR and I ran into trouble.

I have never charged a Suzuki AC system, but have done many other vehicles. The AC was relatively cool when I purchased the vehicle, so I know it was working (if not working terribly well) about 2 years ago. The system still had some pressure, and the AC clutch would engage before I started, but the air did not get cold

I put my vacuum pump onto the low side and evacuated the system, and it held vacuum. I then attached a can of 134a to my manifolds, evacuated the lines and opened the low side valve to let the refrigerant into the system. It didn't flow in as I'm accustomed to. I started the engine and engaged the ac. Nothing -- no clutch engagement. I shut the engine off, and connected to the high side. When I opened the valve to let refrigerant flow into the high side, about 1/3 to half the can entered the system.

I closed off the high side valve on the gauges, and started the engine. The clutch engaged, but system did not empty the can of refrigerant into the low side as I expected. On other vehicles I have serviced, this would have pulled the entire can into the system very quickly.

The high side gets smoking hot, but the low side doesn't get at all cold. I have about 100 PSI on the low and 150 or so on the high -- much higher than the 32ish that the FSM says to expect on the low side.

Before I started messing with it, the low side would drop in pressure if I revved the engine -- now it doesn't move.

Any ideas? I'd like to get it up and running before my trip.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,262 Posts
You may have a plugged orifice.. or too much oil..

Was there any failure with the previous compressor??

..... Philip

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi, a little background; when I bought my 97 Tracker, the compressor was locked up. It did have residual pressure. I bought a junk yard compressor, flushed it and the open lines with a flush from a local auto parts. Installed a new filter/dryer and added fridge oil. I filled the system with my AC machine to the recommended 134a. Low side at idle is relatively poor compared to newer cars, but does put out 42 degree air on an 90 degree day but best when cruising at higher speeds(40-65mph).

Low side on these don't seem to pull a lower number unless revved up to approximately 2k rpm; at least on my tracker anyway. I've never heard of trying to introduce 134 into the system via the high side. Even when having the system in a suction from evacuation, should be able to pull in some refrigerant from the vacuum alone; hopefully enough to keep the compressor engaged while finishing the fill. Then with the engine idle up to approx 2k with a fan in front. Doesn't hold much refrigerant; it's a tiny system.

I'd have to start from scratch and replace the dryer in the process. Perhaps while apart, turn the compressor by hand with the low side hose off checking for suction.
With your high side at 100 as you stated, there's a block or the compressor isn't doing its job of creating a suction, or worse would be a stopped up/frozen expansion valve.
I like AC work, except for evaporator replacments! ;)
dne'
dne'
But you stated that it "worked" sort of a while back? hm~

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
I'd be tempted to try another gauge manifold and hose set, first off. :huh:

What you are reporting is an odd situation and hopefully attributed to something amiss with the gauges or possibly a poor service port (blocked?) condition.

Lastly would be the compressor being mechanically broken (internally), not allowing it to "pump", thus the inability to provide the customary charging parameters.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All,

I was a little more patient and was able to get it all charged up. It just took forever (~15 minutes for a single 12oz can) to draw in the refrigerant. My Saturn sedan draws in a can in like 30 seconds, so that's what I was expecting.

I got it set at the FSM 32 psi on the low, 275 psi on the high side @ 90 degrees ambient temp. It blows ice cold air now!

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
The pressures are good, considering the ambient temp.

You had the freon can straight up, whereby the freon flashed to gas and cooled the can (and lowered it's pressure) significantly, huh. ;)

That relates to slow charging. I usually warm the can with my hands or warm water and I've also been known to shake the can (charging with a little liquid freon in the process) :rolleyes:

Congrats!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I was shaking it. I don't invert it as I don't want liquid refrigerant to get pulled into the suction side of the compressor. It was an unusually cool day in central CA, so that may have been a factor (usually it's 100+ this time of year).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts