Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a spoa kit on the other day. and i took it out wheeling today. but the ride was way to harsh. so i want to dump the stock springs, and i started dogn to some research and read about RUF, and front cj springs in the rear. can someone tell me more about this, where i can get the cj springs from. and do i need to relocate the hangars?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
A RUF conversion is when you us a set of rear Sammy springs up front to smooth out the ride a little. If you buy a kit, it includes a relocation bracket for the back of the spring:

And sometimes a pin relocation plate to put the axle back where it belongs:

You can do it without the kit which will push the axle about an 1" inch farther forward by just using a set of drop-shackles. This moves the front spring eye forward 1.5-2". In this case you will also have to use a driveshaft spacer or a longer driveshaft as you will get more articulation and the stock driveshaft splines are not long enough to stay together in a twisty obstacle.
You will also want to make a change to the Sammy spring packs by removing the overload leaf (the one that looks upsidedown) and adding the 2nd leaf (long one after the main leaf) for additional strength.
The last time I used front CJ springs, I got them from a 76 CJ. The point here is that the leaf springs in the front of a CJ are almost the same width as a Sammy pack, so no fancy fabrication is necessary to make it work.
For a short time, I ran CJ front packs in the FRONT of my Sammy. THAT took a bit more work but it gave me alot more capability. I used both methods described above to gain the extra room for the springs. I also ran a high steer kit so the steering wouldn't bind.
Here is how that one turned out:
Going Long

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
what would give a better ride off roading, OME springs, or the RUF and cj leafs?
Now that you have gone to a SPOA configuration, go RUF and CJ. Another choice would be the Bonz-Eye Samurai 2" LIft Springs from trail Tough. They add lift and are designed to take the stress of SPOA.
OME springs are not designed for SPOA and will snap if you abuse them too much. They are great SPUA, but I wouldn't take the chance SPOA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts