Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock carb on a stock 1300 and the only mods are Thorley headers and a 2" exhaust with Magnaflow cat.

At about 5,500 feet of elevation, I can no longer go over half throttle without surging to the point that I'm making less power than at half-throttle. The higher the elevation, the worse this gets.

At about 9,900 feet, it starts surging a bit even at under half throttle, though it is still running well enough to keep going.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
264 Posts
At about 5,500 feet of elevation, I can no longer go over half throttle without surging to the point that I'm making less power than at half-throttle. The higher the elevation, the worse this gets.

At about 9,900 feet, it starts surging a bit even at under half throttle, though it is still running well enough to keep going.

Is this normal?
Even when my Hitachi carb was in dire need of a rebuild, it never surged. I live at about 5300', so it should have shown up, if, it were normal. There are so many emission system components on the stock carb setup, that could be where the problem lies. Evap canister, altitude sensor, mixture control solenoid, underhood temerature sensor, EGR valve and so on. I'd start out with a can of carb cleaner as a first respose and go from there. A clean fuel filter is always a good start, too. You might check the fuel bowl vent on the carb to see if it's dirty. Could be it's something as simple as that.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
altitude/air pressure sensor is something Else to check if there isn't a vacuum leak. It's on the firewall next to the battery. One of my wires corroded on the sensor and I had to replace the wire ends with bullet snap on connectors. I wasn't having a surging issue, but I'm at sea level.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This issue was finally resolved when I located the loose ground behind the battery. Tightening it up caused the carb to start functioning again.

I took a trip to the Bodie Hills, which is 6,000' to 9,200 feet in elevation, this weekend, and there was no surging, and the power loss I saw before was much less.

The true test came when I made a 600' climb from 8,600' to 9,200 in a distance of about 2,500', with the last 400' rise being done in about 1,200', and, of course, it was not a linear rise, but had some spots where I had to keep 3,500 RPM going to maintain the climb or the engine would slow to the point where I had to stop, back up, and try again.

I can't begin to describe how impressed I was with the Samurai, that it was able to do this.

My climb;
Bodie Masonic Rd/Natl Forest Develop Road 169 Rd to 38.343558, -119.128296 - Google Maps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts