Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been having some issues with my 88 suzuki samurai 1.3L..well one day it just shut off during normal driving conditions...i checked my spark plugs,wires,distributor,fuel pump,fuel filter, etc i have spark,i have fuel pressure and even had my carb rebuilt and it wouldnt run right it sputters.. so i finally took off the timing belt cover and checked the timing belt and found a small tear so i put on a new OEM suzuki timing belt and set the timing and 2 days later it shut off again and left me stranded??? i checked the belt again it had a rip in again! it so i checked the cam sprocket and crank gear and belt tensioner and found some knicks and groves that may have caused the ripping so i replaced the bottom crank gear that the belt rides on and got a new belt..so when i align everything
T.D.C top dead center and fire it up she starts fine but it seems like she gets knocked off timing instantly? and doesnt idle right..? is there something im overlooking? i have a chiltons manual but i dont know what else to trouble shoot? maybe a valve?
i did hear some ticking from the head when she was sputtering before it shut off completely but im not sure..any suggestions? thanks :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is probaly something you did, but thought I would ask. Did you check all the vaccum hoses? I had to make a new bracket for the one that goes to the air filter last week and just looking at it, (it was barely long enough) it slipped off the back and then I went to move it to a place to work on it better, it barely ran, sputtered, etc. Slipped the hose back on and runs perfect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Running fault

Check your water pump is the water pump siezing causing the belt to jump take timming belt of see if you can spin the water pump freely

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its running fine now it was a timing issue i was having...also my timing belt was getting chewed up by small knicks and burs in the bottom guide/gear..sanded the burs and knicks down got a new belt and set the timing and shes running like a rolls royce phantom...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts