Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 87 samurai the other week and it smoked when i got it.. after a day in the hills it really started smoking. i couldn't find a thread on this topic. i was told by some mechanics that it was the rings. so i broke down the motor, honed the block, and replaced the piston rings. i did use a new head gasket kit.

when i got it back together there was no smoke for about 10 mins at an idle then when i drove it the smoke came back. it only smokes when you sit for about 10 seconds then rev it up. " like at a stop light and when you take off the smoke rolls out but goes away, then when you idle down to shift it starts again."

I was told it could be two things:

1. bad valve guides
2. the exhaust was getting warm and burning the old stuff out of the muffler system

the motor does runs way stronger than before. does anyone have ideas ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never had my Samurai engine apart, but on previous engines, I have had bad valve seals that leak like this with good valve guides. I have replaced them with a trick using compressed air to keep the valves up, removing the springs, and replacing the guides. It is tricky.

If it were my engine and I had done all the other work, I would pull the head and take it to an automotive machine shop to have the head rebuilt. It is surprisingly inexpensive and usually improve the performance a lot. The other option is exchange it for a rebuilt head.

The block and head surfaces should be checked carefully for warped surfaces.

$$ spend those dollars, they won't be worth as much tommorrow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, i have talked to a guy where i live and he told me a 4 angle valve grind, check the guides and replace the seals for 100 bucks. i don't want to spend to much on it , the motor is not worth it. just got to make it run good til next summer when i do my swap..

thanks again.. mmachinist said it's probly the seals

1 - 5 of 5 Posts