Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I find my van to have stiff shock absorbers. is this also the case with yours? were they designed this ways since they are normally a work horse for carrying heavy loads. i experimented and tried to fill it with 7 persons - still the same. my front shocks are coil springs, my rear are leaf - checking other zuk carry i find them to have the same shock absorbers with my van but i havent tried riding inside theirs. I've asked YT and he told me his van is OK. Im planning to remove 1 or 2 leaf on the rear - would that improve my ride comfort?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:D Hi guys i just discovered something after changing the oil of my vans differential. i poured some of the oil to both my leaf springs at the rear - and that resulted to a much confortable/smooth ride. i guess i believe leaf springs do need maintenance as well. the reason why they get stiff is because of rust which increases the friction on each leaf. you see when your van hits a bump the first one that will absorb the shock would be the first spring(longest one). if the shock is too much for the first spring the second one comes to help and so forth...

Now imagine this operation with rust and friction.. i guess you got the picture.

i hope this helps someone out there that is having a bubble head every time go out of their van after driving. ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second stage is for me to disassemble it and add grease in between leaves. this way it'll take a longer time to re-lubricate. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the tip, will give it a try. My family and I have been having this same problem with the many speed bumps/humps in Singapore.

·
Registered
200 Posts
vanman said:
Thanks for the tip, will give it a try. My family and I have been having this same problem with the many speed bumps/humps in Singapore.
breaking the speed limit mr vanman? hehehe, joke. :D btw, pls. try loggin in to our dead forums at Welcome to Club Carry Philippines! :D thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
pascalhatesworm said:
I find my van to have stiff shock absorbers. is this also the case with yours? were they designed this ways since they are normally a work horse for carrying heavy loads. i experimented and tried to fill it with 7 persons - still the same. my front shocks are coil springs, my rear are leaf - checking other zuk carry i find them to have the same shock absorbers with my van but i havent tried riding inside theirs. I've asked YT and he told me his van is OK. Im planning to remove 1 or 2 leaf on the rear - would that improve my ride comfort?
ding, with regards to your springs (leaf) to the back, 2 years ago we did have encountered a problem with our leaf spring after we drove fast over a metal sheet which is used to protect deep constructions on the road. the metal sheet, if i was not mistaken, hit our leaf spring which in turn scraped our wheel badly, then next was the electrical system, which in turn left us stranded in Boni tunnel. oh what an experience!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Shock's are not Springs.

Greetings! Most times if you get a rough ride, is cause your SHOCKS have lost their oil/air charge (read worn out).
REPLACE the shock, with a NEW ONE, dont get from junk yard. As for putting lube on leafe springs, it cant hurt.
NOTE: Most vehicles have coil springs on the front, and leaf springs on the back, unless you have a rear engion version with CV joints, then you will have coil springs on all 4 wheels. You also have a SHOCK on all four wheels. Most multi cabs here on Mactain Cebu have worn out junk for suspension, they seldom get above 45KPH and the roads are a mess, so rough ride for all. If the shock fits, dont mean it is right for your ride. Get the ONE made for your vehicle. I got a Scrum, it rides great, no rough ride, no stiff back. Its shocks are near new, thats why. Replace in pairs, both front, both rear, etc. To check the shock, bounce a corner of your ride. It should stop moving in 3 or less cycles, if not its worn out. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
newsavedone,

I'm experiencing unusually big thumps on uneven roads...I had may scrum's front and rear shocks refurbished. Worked fine for a week but after that they seemed to get back to their old condition. I think I need to have them replaced. I have not asked around how much each pair would cost. Can you tell me the brand and price of shocks people in Cebu usually buy? Another thing, my ride seems to tip on one side, about an inch higher...I mean, while it's not moving. Seems that the shock or the coil on one side is "stiffer" than on the other side. My coils need replacement too? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
553 Posts
bad shock

greetings, As I said, you need to get the shock made for your ride, the parts store should know which one fits. Bad ride on rough road, and uneven bounce are indications of bad shocks.
A shock is put on a car to stop the bouncing of the springs and give a smoother ride.
Not too opften is the spring bad, its usually the shock, it has leaked its oil or air charge and cannot dampen the bounce of the spring.I will try to find a simple explination of how shocks work and find a topic to post it.
Good luck, and where are you located at?:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts