Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I haven't quite yet decided which direction my '03 Carry truck is going to take, I thought I would go ahead and replace the stock Japanese-only AM radio with a simple US-compatible aftermarket unit that I found on eBay for only $20 shipped (In Dash Car Audio MP3 Player Bluetooth Stereo Head Unit USB SD Aux FM Input Aux | eBay). Along with AM/FM stereo and preset memory channels, in comes with quite a lot of additional features (Clock, USB, Bluetooth, Aux port, and SD card). Not a big fan of that faux carbon fiber look though.

Fortunately, removing the stock headunit is not going to be as demanding as I originally thought. The climate control/stereo trim surround comes out fairly easily with some gentle prying with a plastic trim removal tool and my fingertips.

It popped right out to expose the screws that hold the installation frame for the headunit and cubbyhole. After removing the 4 screws, the installation frame slides right out.

Disconnecting the wiring from the stock headunit is easily done.

Unfortunately, it does not look like it is going to be the easy installation affair I initially hoped. Closer inspection of the wiring reveals that there are a total of three (3) wires pinned into the connector--presumably the single ignition power wire and the +/- speaker wires. Ugh. I forgot that it was a mono speaker setup.

This is going to require fishing the other wires needed(constant power and additional speaker wires) to get this to operate. Did I mention that I hate wiring and electrical?

For the time being I am going to hold off installation until my 4" speakers arrive. Did I mention that they only cost me about $14 shipped through Amazon?

Amazon.com: Pyle PL42BL 4-Inch 180-Watt Two-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

·
Registered
616 Posts
EDIT:

I defer to Dudleydo's knowledge on the subject...

Carrys are rare in the US and are imported for off-road use only.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R/Y is backlight?

What is that exactly?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Some older style stereos have a backlights for the LCD and buttons. Just come on with sidelights. Most modern units just light up whenever they are switched on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have already removed about 10lbs in dust and dirt and am still not finished. I am going to grab my multimeter to determine which wire is which and then begin pre-wiring for the speakers. I am curious what the wiring looks like coming from the door i to the cabin. If anyone has pics it would be helpful. I am probably going to have to secure some grommets as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps I can just use the R/Y wire to run some interior disco LEDs.

Bahahahahaha!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts