Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

So here is my problem, I am 6'-5" and so that I am not trying to drive with my knees around my ears, I have the seat all the way back, but with the seat that far back I find reaching for the wheel uncomfortable.:( Soooooo, is there any way, short of an aftermarket column that I can move the steering wheel back from the dash an inch or two?????

Thanks.
BTW it is a '92 2 door 4x4 auto JLX w/ tilt wheel

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You could try to source an aftermarket steering wheel with a deeper dish or use a flatter aftermarket wheel and make a spacer to go between the wheel and the boss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rhinoman! For some reason that thought just never entered my brain. I was too busy trying to figure out how I could move the whole column. I already have the parts lined up. Grant makes an adapter and a cheap wheel that doesn't look too "cheap".

All the best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
steering wheel

Hi lurch zuki, I have the same problem with legs, 6-3 mostly legs,,,how did the grant wheel swap work out? I have a 87 zuki that is new to me,,one week. This is the first problem I need to solve,and asap. Thanks GRAYMAN SPOTTER

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grayman,

It didn't work out all that well actually... the wheel Grant wheel I got has a 3" dish, what I didn't take into account is that the stock wheel from where it mounts to the column is actually about 3 1/2" to 4" deep. The only saving grace for me was that the Grant is a little bit smaller diameter, so I was able to tilt it a little more vertical which brought it a bit closer to reach. I am still toying with the idea of having a machine shop make an extension to go between the Grant adapter, and wheel to bring it closer to me.

If you want I could take a couple of pics to show you what the Grant set up looks like installed...

Lurch

·
Registered
10 Posts
REPLY Steering wheel

Lurch, Thanks so much for the reply! Pictures would be great! Again I am on this fast so I can drive it comfortably, Just saw a site about "andys steering hubs",,specific to zukis, with a bit more time I am going to call them and see what they know.
Grayman

·
Registered
10 Posts
LURCHZUKI,
Well i made a couple of calls, Andys was a dead end. Andy's sugessted 101carparts.com,,,dead end. Then they suggested "Danner?",,,, could not find them.

Even and inch or so would be helpful.

The other thing I am considering is shortening up the clutch pedal pad abit, not alot of room to get up on the clutch in a hurry if needed ( part of the same problem, left leg and knee room).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
wow im 6-3 and must have monkey arms cause i put my seat all the way back and can reach the wheel. you should b able to get an adapter made from the grant one just 3-4" thick.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
I am not as tall as you guys, but all legs - 36" inseam on pants. With the seat all the way back, I have little problem reaching the steering wheel - I find that by adjusting the reclining seat back, I can get a comfortable position. ??

·
Super Moderator
12,445 Posts
Lurchzuki - trying stacking a momo hub, with a momo~grant adapter and then the grant wheel.

Most of the Momo wheels are flat or near flat, so the Momo hub spaces the wheel away from the column by 2~3" - I've never really measured it, but for me it puts the wheel rim at the right position relative to the wiper/turn signal control stalks - add that to the disk on a Grant wheel and you'll get a few more inches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FORDEM, Brilliant! I had not thought of that, I thought I was going to spend a bunch of time at the lathe to make a stand off/spacer. I think you have solved my problem! thanks much!

For the record, you can see I am new to this forum and I know that I have been comparing apples to oranges a bit cuz I have a 87 samirai and you guys appear to have a list of different zukis. BUT, by kicking around the idea, I got what I needed, thanks again!

SO, for the future, can you point me in the right direction for the guys that are specific to Samurai's, I must have missed that tab on the home page.

Additionally for BEX and deeznuts77,,, that apples and oranges thang applies,,sorry if I wasn't clear off the start.

GRAYMAN SPOTTER

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fordem,

That sounds like a perfect solution!!!! THANKS!!! I have been dealing with the Grant wheel where it is just because it is a bit smaller diameter.... gives me a bit more left knee room for the clutch.But it a bit close to the turn signal/ wiper arms. Actually very difficult to use the cruise buttons. have to stab at them through the steering wheel :(

I live in a pretty small little out in the middle of nowhere town, any ideas on the part numbers for the pieces you are referring to?? Where to get them online??

·
Super Moderator
12,445 Posts
The Momo hub adapter to fit a Suzuki is Momo P/n 8904, and as far as I can tell, the Grant to Momo adapter is Grant P/n 4008 - be very careful with this last item - because they come in two forms, Momo wheel on Grant hub, and Grant wheel on a Momo hub, you want the one that takes a Grant wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
update

Thanks for the pictures,,,well i am onto a different solution to this steering issue ,,,it is to easy!!
Grant makes a 2 inch extention to stack on top of the adapter.

So the adapter is about 25 bucks, the extention was actually a bit more than that, but the parts guy i dealt with showed the extention had been in stock for a couple of years so he discounted that to me for 25 bucks and then I found a steering wheel i liked for 51 bucks, its the formula 4, 4 spoke, its 14 inches in diameter, there were not many choices in the 15 inch range.
I am a little worried about the lack of leverage with a 14 inch wheel.

anyway, for this project i am really trying to keep it cheap so all of the above is looking good, you guys have any ideas, or if I am on the wrong track?

GRAYMAN SPOTTER

·
Registered
10 Posts
to lurchzuki

hey lurchzuki, how did the last adaptor idea from fordem work out for you??? ,,also did you know about the grant extention I found out about,,and mentioned in my last post?

That may be the easiest solution for you eh? if you need the part number, I will have it in my hand tomorrow.

Grayman Spotter

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
grayman,

the momo idea sounded good but it doesn't appear to be street legal (the fuz up here are pretty particular about that kind of thing) and I also had trouble trying to find it online for a decent price... so i was just going to go with my original thought about machining a spacer. that was until i just read your post about the grant spacer... :)

would love to get the part number from ya.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts