Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I noticed the PAC SWI unit gets recommended alot for installation of an aftermarket headunit whilst keeping the stock steering wheel controls.

I just bought a Sony XAV-612BT double DIN unit, already have ordered the Metra fasica installation kit and now I need to get a harness.

Saw this one on eBay for $130 and it seems like an okay deal, everything is plug and play and seems like a very straight forward installation, and no need for soldering is definitely a bonus.

Is there anything I should know about them, how the perform? eg, delay between steering wheel controls and the headunit? etc..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Steering wheel controls for an aftermarket headunit.

I use the PAC SWI in my Grand Vitara. It works and never fails. Its about 3 years old.
I install PAC controllers in other cars and has been good.

The eBay item i haven't used, i like how it all just plugs up.
I will have to say, use the PAC. Because i know it works and using it in my car.
There is no lag or delay when pressing buttons.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the exact same kit (its an Aerpro kit) in my car running a Pioneer unit, works perfectly fine and has for a few years now. Fitted many of these to different cars (its my job) and rarely get an issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah that's great dude, just searching around and it seems like I can build my own kit with a PAC SWI-RC for much cheaper so I'm thinking I might go down that route.

Does anybody have the pinout for the OEM radio connector for my 2006 GV? Struggling to find anything on the net and I don't particularly want to be cramped in the car chasing wirings and referencing a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a cheap Chinese double din unit (Eonon)

Has sat-nav, BT CD Player, can connect your ipod iphone (lead supplied) USB etc.

Also comes with an SD card pre-loaded with AU & NZ maps.

Reversing camera included.

Works with steering wheel controls (no expensive adapters needed)

All this for +/- $300 AU delivered to my door in less than 48 hours!

Probably not as good as Alpine (my favorite) Sony etc, but for $300.....

Had mine for a year with no problems.

Also has a motorised screen, which is incredibly useful when the sun hassles the screen. Has about 6 different angle settings.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ah that's great dude, just searching around and it seems like I can build my own kit with a PAC SWI-RC for much cheaper so I'm thinking I might go down that route.

Does anybody have the pinout for the OEM radio connector for my 2006 GV? Struggling to find anything on the net and I don't particularly want to be cramped in the car chasing wirings and referencing a wiring diagram.
I included a pinout in the post I made of of my 2DIN navi installation in my 2010GV:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006-grand-vitara/56196-pioneer-avic-940bt-2din-navi-install.html

This is for a 2010MY, but I think everything is exactly the same for the 2006.

As far as the SW interface, I highly recommend the iDatalink if for no other reason than the fact that it can be programmed by flashing the module firmware on a PC to a specific vehicle, making it totally plug and play with no flashing-light button-press stuff that all the others require. Yes, it costs about $10 more than the PAC or AXXIS, but it also offers a lot of optional settings for the SW buttons and everything works exactly like you expect with no lag time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody have the issue where the steering wheel controls only attenuates the audio and doesn't completely mute it?

I ended up getting the Aerpro just because it was local and it was convenient, I didn't particularly want to wait 3 weeks for all the parts to get to my door from the US.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the reply I get from Sony

The only way to adjust the volume on the unit itself is to use the volume control on the front panel or the remote commander. when using this function is the volume reduced fully? Unfortunately I cannot explain why the mute feature on the steering wheel does not operate fully due to the use of a third party accessory
So I emailed Aerpro, it has been a couple of days now and still haven't heard anything from them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When the mute button is pressed, is the volume reduced significantly?
Not all headunits totally mute.
My Pioneer unit has attenuation which only reduces the intensity of the music.
In the Suzuki i have a JVC unit in it and it fully mutes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reduces significantly, but not completely. Another forum member told me his Pioneer attenuates as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Isn't it a bit expensive using a Pioneer headunit?

Wouldn't it be better to install a Android tablet for the half of the price and get a lot of more functionality?

The pioneer system does look nice, but still. not many functions compared.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just trying to eliminate the problem.
Why not press mute on the sony unit and see if it is the same on steering controls.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a cheap Chinese double din unit (Eonon)

Has sat-nav, BT CD Player, can connect your ipod iphone (lead supplied) USB etc.

Also comes with an SD card pre-loaded with AU & NZ maps.

Reversing camera included.

Works with steering wheel controls (no expensive adapters needed)

All this for +/- $300 AU delivered to my door in less than 48 hours!

Probably not as good as Alpine (my favorite) Sony etc, but for $300.....

Had mine for a year with no problems.

Also has a motorised screen, which is incredibly useful when the sun hassles the screen. Has about 6 different angle settings.
I have a 2011 Suzuki GV with a similar EinCar 6.2 double din head unit and used a Metra 70-1721 harness adapter to connect to the EinCar HU harness using soldered connections and heat shrink tubing.

How did you connect your steering wheel controls without an expensive adapter such as an Axxess ASWC-1 made by Metra? My EinCar HU has a Green in yellow wire for steering wheel control key 1 and a Red in White wire for steering wheel control key 2 with following manufacturers note (only connect when car has two positive signal wires).

Which wire(s) do I use and where do I connect it/them? I was thinking to use the Green in yellow wire for control key 1 and connect it to the factory harness pin #19. Would this work or what was your successful solution? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
The Australian unit works well, plug and play, but bulky

Hey guys, I noticed the PAC SWI unit gets recommended alot for installation of an aftermarket headunit whilst keeping the stock steering wheel controls.

I just bought a Sony XAV-612BT double DIN unit, already have ordered the Metra fasica installation kit and now I need to get a harness.

Saw this one on eBay for $130 and it seems like an okay deal, everything is plug and play and seems like a very straight forward installation, and no need for soldering is definitely a bonus.

Is there anything I should know about them, how the perform? eg, delay between steering wheel controls and the headunit? etc..
I did get this Australian plug and play unit and installed it on a 2012 GV with a high end Alpine single din as reported on another thread, but the unanticipated issue is that the plug and play modules are bulky and with the other items including the Sirius tuner being installed at the same time, it took at least twenty minutes to figure out how everything could fit in there in back. Still, it works, but now am likely to try the 120ASWC1 from Metra along with soldering the wire connections on the main harness, which will save some space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts