Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just found out this morning while driving that I'm having a hard time on my steering especially when turning left. I think na puwersa siguro when I was parking in a tight space in Sampaloc. I suspect since this van is from Japan and the original specs use was a R12 rim and tires that it was too much to handle a the tires and rim 175/60 R13. I think the steering arm nawala sa pwesto. My mechanic told me before to reinforce at may konting conversion sa steering box kasi medyo malambot yung ilalim. So I plan to bring it this weekend for repairs.

Add on ko lang, I've notice that may drip ng water sa ilalim ng makina since nag palit ako ng F6 na makina and i suspect baka dahil matagal na stock kaya bumigay sealing ng water pump ko. Medyo may konting ingay dun. My water pump is located inside the engine with a pulley daw sabi ng mekaniko ko. I've ask sa Suzuki Banawe, and the original kit for the water pump is P1,500 daw at original. (Sana hindi sya replacement) Sa Olympia in Araneta P850 daw pero replacement and Arco Japan ang brand.(Is this ok?)

Hopefully, maayos ko na mga major repairs ng van ko kahit paunti-unti. Ganun talaga pag 2nd hand but I still like my carry van.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've used the arco brand before and they seem to be ok.

you might also want to check the center post bushing on your van. it happened to me about 3 months ago, the center post bushing was binding on the centerpost, so it was hard to turn. my mechanic just put some grease between the bushing and the center post and told me that there's no need to clean the undercarriage with car shampoo and water twice a week. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
mang_caloy said:
I've used the arco brand before and they seem to be ok.

you might also want to check the center post bushing on your van. it happened to me about 3 months ago, the center post bushing was binding on the centerpost, so it was hard to turn. my mechanic just put some grease between the bushing and the center post and told me that there's no need to clean the undercarriage with car shampoo and water twice a week. :)
Did your mechanic actually disassembled the center post and the bushing in it? if so id like to know if the bushing is made of hard plastic or metal? my mechanic told me i need to replace my bushing to improve steering. he had check and found out that there is some 'play' in it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update on my van

Hi guys! Thanks for the advice.:) Here is a short account on the condition of my van.

We removed the whole steering arm and found out that there were some weld at the end of my steering and the added stress it endure during my tight parking last Wednesday bend the metal. We cannot use the parts anymore so I have to buy a whole set at the surplus shop. They might finish the repairs today and reinforce the bracket and the support on the steering box. I ask them if i have to change my tires from 175 to 165 and they've told me with the reinforce bracket, it can handle the job.

I have a question on the full turn of our van. When you steer left or right, you can turn the steering wheel 1 1/2. I know in cars you can do 2 1/2 turn to reach the limit. Is this the right count?

I also bought water pump and belt tensioner(suplus) and my engine is running fine now.

Wala naman akong nakitang plastic parts sa ilalim paschalhatesworms.

Props na lang wallet ko. But i still love my van.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mang_caloy said:
Mr. Pascal, the centerpost bushing is made of rubber with a metal sleeve inside it.

yes this is the original part/material of centerpost bushing.
share ko lang, when we need to replace the center post bushing, instead of buying the same material for the bushing, we use Ball Bearing instead(not sure if its ball bearing or roller bearing). Here's the part number of the bearing (6904).
I forgot the price of the bearing, pero pinapa-machineshop pa namin ito para mai-mount sa center post. Usually it cost around P500 sa mounting.

·
Registered
159 Posts
blue said:
yes this is the original part/material of centerpost bushing.
share ko lang, when we need to replace the center post bushing, instead of buying the same material for the bushing, we use Ball Bearing instead(not sure if its ball bearing or roller bearing). Here's the part number of the bearing (6904).
I forgot the price of the bearing, pero pinapa-machineshop pa namin ito para mai-mount sa center post. Usually it cost around P500 sa mounting.
Weird i was thinking of the same thing!! I though the same din naman principle/operation mas maganda pa kase mas gagaang ang handling. Gumaang ba?
I wanted to do the same way before pa. but you have to still maintail the rubber so it wont be metal to metal right?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thanks for sharing! give us more inputs, i might do the same this time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
pascalhatesworm said:
Did your mechanic actually disassembled the center post and the bushing in it? if so id like to know if the bushing is made of hard plastic or metal? my mechanic told me i need to replace my bushing to improve steering. he had check and found out that there is some 'play' in it.
Thanks!
Had my centerpost bushing replaced with plastic, especially machined by Servitek, cost me only 650 including labor, now no more steering vibrations at highway speeds.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Zukzuk said:
Had my centerpost bushing replaced with plastic, especially machined by Servitek, cost me only 650 including labor, now no more steering vibrations at highway speeds.
So they fabricated one for you? Which branch of Servitec did you had it done? how was it since (how long have you been running with it)? Im planning to go there if you could give me more info. thanks man:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Zukzuk said:
is that "engineering plastic" heheheh buti sa inyo mura lang... 650 including labor.

·
Registered
85 Posts
pascalhatesworm said:
Weird i was thinking of the same thing!! I though the same din naman principle/operation mas maganda pa kase mas gagaang ang handling. Gumaang ba?
I wanted to do the same way before pa. but you have to still maintail the rubber so it wont be metal to metal right?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thanks for sharing! give us more inputs, i might do the same this time.
its actually metal to metal... we havent tried it on a scrum body,:confused: but on its older predecesor, w/c is the carry on an FB body (passenger type), its actually working fine. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
pascalhatesworm said:
So they fabricated one for you? Which branch of Servitec did you had it done? how was it since (how long have you been running with it)? Im planning to go there if you could give me more info. thanks man:)
Sorry bro its too far for you, the Servitek branch is in Ormoc City, Leyte, The engineering plastic blank cost = 300,machining charge =200, labor =150, hence the total of 650.

Been running it for 6 mos now, so far so good. The Servitek mechanic even advised me to have the tie rod bushings and other steering system bushings replaced with machined plastic bushings.

Another option for the centerpost bushing is replacing the stock with a special bearing set, but its more expensive (2000k).

·
Registered
114 Posts
plastic bushings vs metal bushings

hi, my 2cents lang... the bushings were orogonally made of plastic so they will absorb the wear and tear. they're supposed to give way in time depending on pressure load. this prevents you from damaging other more important parts like the rack and pinion itself as these are harder and more expensive to replace.

but i'm enterested on how the roller bearings are performing... are they holding up with no vibration at highway speeds?

thanks for other info in this thread

·
Registered
114 Posts
steering bushing

hi pascalhatesworm,

actually im experiencing a lot of squeaks lately while turning the steering wheel during parking speeds. i noticed this for the last few months. but at highway speeds there's no noise. i'm worried that the welding on my rack and pinion might give way. since the shop converted it from right to left hand drive. they might have compromised the integrity of the mountings. kindly advise. thanks again!

·
Registered
114 Posts
steering squeaks

yup i will. thanks zuk. been busy lately but my yellow cab really needs an appointment with the underchassis mechanic. been putting my carry on extreme loads for the last two years. maybe ite time for a pacemaker na (haha). actually a turbocharger is a very nice add on. but only if i have PhP70k in my pocket! tnx again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have my steering replacement last year and I watch them install the surplus. There is only one area that is being weld and welder has to be good. Mine is weld from end to end plus it was sandwich with two plates to make it stronger and able to handle my tires of R13 175/60s.

In Olympia (Araneta avenue) the owner told me that they have a complete set of underchassis from Korea and it's a left hand original not converted. They also assemble this van there. I am not sure if it is surplus or branden new.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hi yt, tnx for the info...will check out the left hand setup at olympia

also, you mentioned before that you changed your engine from an F5A. what problems were you having with it that needed a change. does the F5A have a compatible 5speed tranny? i was thinking of installing a 5 speed tranny on my 4x4 but dont know if there is one that will match it. mine is an F5A which i changed (after breaking the original timing belt at 65,000km reading) with another F5A since the first one i bought didnt match the 4x4 tranny.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Center post dimension.....Need Help.

Does anybody has the centerpost dimension? :D
Am planning to fabricate a black engineering plastic for the centerpost.
Our mechanic here advised me to try tiger bronze for long term durability. I think it is more pricey than my free Black Eng'g. Material. :D
Thanks and more power mga Bro!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts