Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all new to the site looks good hopefully might get some info of u all i have a suzuki jimny on a 03 plate estate the steering shakes badly in between 40 and 50 mph had tracking done and balancing and still doing it please help its in the garage at the moment but they cant find any thing :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Does it have the weird triangular alloy wheels? During my search for Jimny knowledge I saw it mentioned that those are nearly impossible to balance because they warp slightly and go out of balance when you tighten up the wheel nuts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no there not the triangular wheels i was told it could be king pins but i am not sure could be a number of things its just breaking it down to the one thing

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you have triangle shape wheels, no wonder it is all bouncy. Here in the USA we only use round wheels, Much smoother!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
hi all new to the site looks good hopefully might get some info of u all i have a suzuki jimny on a 03 plate estate the steering shakes badly in between 40 and 50 mph had tracking done and balancing and still doing it please help its in the garage at the moment but they cant find any thing :(
If the mechanics can't figure it out, you need to find another garage!

"Death Wobble" involves the following:

1 Worn steering linkage components (tie rod ends, etc.)

2 Worn Birfield joint seals.

3 Worn steering stablizer.

4 Bad alignment.

5 Incorrect installation of a suspension lift.

6 Worn wheel bearings.

7 Worn kingpin bearings.

8. Damaged or out-of-balance tires.

Of the above - 8, 1, 6, 7 and 5 (in that order) are the usual culprits.

Of special note is 5, above. If your truck has a susupension lift, it is possible that whomever did the lift did not position the front differential so that the face of the input flange is parallel to the face of the transfer case's output flange before welding on the spring perches. Not doing so causes a permanent change in the Caster angle which can cause a "wobble" effect similar to that of the banged-up front wheels of a grocery store shopping cart. It also causes accelerated wear on the front driveshaft u-joints...

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
03 is a coily so the spring perches aren't an issue, but the control arms are.

Also check your bushings on your suspension and check your shocks. If you damaged or wore out one of your shocks, the extra load would destroy the suspension bushings on that side. If not remedied a problem like that will eventually destroy the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
03 is a coily so the spring perches aren't an issue, but the control arms are.

DARN the luck!

We don't have them here... GRRRR.....

Curse you, Consumers' Union!

·
Registered
1 Posts
shaky stearing

hi guys,

i have s jimny 2003 model. between 60-70 kmh while breaking especially downhill the steering started to shake violently. eventually i was using a handbrake to avoid the shake.
this car have had 100k on the clock. i decided to change the front rotors and breakpads. this completely eliminated the shake. very happy.

a rotor costs about AUD120-150 a pop. garage has charged AUD300 for work incl rotors.

cheers

robi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts