Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked at my 2002 XL-7 and the power steering fluid was way low when only a week ago it was full..

Can anyone tell me how hard... or a Guide to drop the steering rack out as I have a feeling it has blown a seal on the input shaft but cannot be sure... until I get it out...

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
Are you sure it's the rack and not the pump or hoses? :huh:

I can't provide a blow by blow description of your model dis-assembly procedure, but typical interference items are the front sway bar, hose / line disconnecting and tie-rod END separating tool needs. Steering input shaft disconnecting and rack body mounting bolts. That and a finished front-end alignment.

Reman racks examples here...

2002 SUZUKI XL-7 Rack and Pinion Complete Unit

Other than yours being right hand drive I suppose, it shouldn't vary much from the GV, if you want to peruse Service Manual removal particulars, here...

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cvrt1rfoso8t8/Service_Manuals

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had it looked at and got it confirmed.. Its leaking from the Top input shaft seal..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the end I ended up sourcing a second hand rack.. Which works well..

Yes it can be re-sealed but the rack needs to be taken out of the vehicle anyway and for me a re-seal kit was almost the cost of a 2nd hand rack

·
Super Moderator
13,718 Posts
It should be noted that Suzuki offers a VERY limited selection of parts for the steering rack assembly - rod ends, rack ends, lock washers, rack boots, circlips - no seal kits or other internal components - so you're looking for after market parts here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL called my local Powersteering mob and they wanted $780 for an exchange!
$365 to re-furbish my existing rack which would take 6-8 weeks..

Or I went with the wreckers who got me a decent rack for $270

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The only problem with the wrecker option is it's an unknown quantity - especially if the donor vehicle has been in an accident. You could have exactly the same problem in a few months. :(

With a rebuild you should get a decent warranty and at least know the seals are all new - so they should outlast your ownership.

PS: I paid nearly $700 to have the power steering rack rebuilt in my 1971 Triumph (for leaking seals)- and it had to go back because they stuffed it the first time! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Can anyone tell me if a steering rack from a 2000 Vitara can be installed in a 2001/02 XL7? I mean will it fit and operate. I'm trying to fix up a collision truck for use as a plow truck in winter and the original rack was damaged in the collision and now leaks badly. Just want the truck to be mobile and steerable.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks Max. I did check there first and saw the numbers were close but not a match. Wondering what the difference is - maybe length of tie rod ends, or internal valving that might give greater or lesser boost, or ?? I can live with little differences like that as long as it will bolt up and work. Might have to drop them both and eyeball things. I've already got the one out of the '99.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Leaking input

Same here. Clearly a common problem.

Hard to locate used RHD steering units. Got the seal Kit from Rock Auto so lets see how that goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts