Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I've been lurking for a long time.
I have a 1987 Samurai that I lifted 2" with shackles and installed a drop pitman arm. Also had it professionally aligned. Here is my problem, after doing all of that the steering had lots of play. I adjusted the play out with the adjustment screw on the steering box, tightened the lock nut back and drove on. It was a beautiful thing, a week later I noticed started getting a little more play in the steering wheel, I adjusted it out, good to go. Well I am on my 3rd adjustment and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Nothing seems to be striped out, everything tightens up. Am I looking at a new steering box??:confused:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is it full of oil? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I messed up the bottom seal on mine so the oil leaked out and now (having not fixed it for some years) I have 180 degrees of slop in the wheel. Mine needs a new box bad. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bone dry. I filled it up with oil, I'm sure it will leak back out. Guess I'm looking at a seal, hopefully that will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i actually am having the same issue on mine. Kind of a noob when it comes to the stearing, but how would you check the level of the fluid and what kind of fluid would you use.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Remove the square headed screw on top of the steering box and fill it all the way up to the bottom of the screw hole with gear oil.
I have read some people just install a grease fitting on theirs and pump it full of grease when they get leaky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts