Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

When my suzuki sierra is travelling around 60km on a bumpy road , the stearing would shake violently untill I reduced speed???????:eek: was told that the steering box would need replacing!

First, I made an adjustment on the steering box via the adjustment screw. The problem then was resolved, only for a few weeks and now is back!!!! Would I be correct in deducing that the steering box is the cause of the wobble and that now after the adjustment the box should be replaced???

Thanks for any responses

KIND Regards Ben:)

·
Super Moderator
12,180 Posts
No - the wobble is more likely to be caused by out of balance wheels and/or incorrect caster - it will be more noticeable if the steering box (or any other steering component) is worn, and even more so if the vehicle has been lifted.

Research "wobble of death" I'm sure you'll find lots of suggestions.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do a search on "death wobble".

Common causes off the top of my head are:

Tires out of balance or out of round.
Wheel bearings loose.
Front end not in alignment.
Steering damper missing or worn out.
Tie rod ends worn.

Steering box probably not the cause.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Death Wobble

Hi Guys,

When my suzuki sierra is travelling around 60km on a bumpy road , the stearing would shake violently untill I reduced speed???????:eek: was told that the steering box would need replacing!

First, I made an adjustment on the steering box via the adjustment screw. The problem then was resolved, only for a few weeks and now is back!!!! Would I be correct in deducing that the steering box is the cause of the wobble and that now after the adjustment the box should be replaced???

Thanks for any responses

KIND Regards Ben:)[

Hi Ben, I battled for a long time with my Samurai with this. Changed wheels and tyres twice, done wheel agignment, balancing, the works. Checked for play on suspention components - to no avail. Also reset the steering box up a little, and she was better fir a week or so, and then started again. I decided to adjust the steering play again, but this time so much that the steering wheel did not want to return to it`s position after turning. Came back home and set it back untill the steering just, just returned to its position after negotiating a turn. She seems to be absolutely fine now. Please do not over adjust jout steering box, for it wil cause ball bearing failure inside the steering box. Also first ensure your tytre pressure is the same, wheels balanced, and no other play on front syspention.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dreaded wheel wobble

I had the alinement checked, the tires rebalanced, the bearings checked, installed a new steering damper and none of them solved my wheel wobble. A mechanic tightened my steering box for free and the wobble stopped. It still has a little vibration and the wobble returns every few months until I tighten the steering box again. I guess I won't replace the steering box as long as I can keep tightening it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the alinement checked, the tires rebalanced, the bearings checked, installed a new steering damper and none of them solved my wheel wobble. A mechanic tightened my steering box for free and the wobble stopped. It still has a little vibration and the wobble returns every few months until I tighten the steering box again. I guess I won't replace the steering box as long as I can keep tightening it.
I agree, works for me as well. As soon as the wobble starts coming back I just turn the adjustment screw in plus minus half a turn and lock it again. Problem solved. Like you say, until the steering box can not go more.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just rebuilt my front end bearings and seals and remember reading in there to be sure the kingpins are shimmed just right or really mark the ones where they where located if they look good (which i did) but they noted that a wobble could occur if it's not right....hopefully it's one of the other lesser things.
Joe

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I agree, works for me as well. As soon as the wobble starts coming back I just turn the adjustment screw in plus minus half a turn and lock it again. Problem solved. Like you say, until the steering box can not go more.
have your king pin bearings checked (upper and lower), before reinstalling put a shim(ask your suzuki parts dealer about this, its like a washer) between the king pin and king pin bearing(again on the upper and lower side) 100% this will solve the problem, happy driving!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
jimny wobble 2.jpg

jimny wobble 1.jpg

jimny wobble 3-1.jpg

jimny wobble 3-2.jpg

jimny wobble 3.jpg

jimny wobble 4.jpg

jimny wobble 5.jpg
i just rebuilt my front end bearings and seals and remember reading in there to be sure the kingpins are shimmed just right or really mark the ones where they where located if they look good (which i did) but they noted that a wobble could occur if it's not right....hopefully it's one of the other lesser things.
Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
My buddy and I had the same issue, replace the steering dampener (stabilizer) for 30 bucks from local parts house. it fixed both of ours.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I took my dampener (stabilizer) completely off and it's fine and has no wobble. tightening the steering box and/or new dampener slows down the left to right free play some and probably just enough to stop the death wobble worn tie rod ends which are easy to check could also be a contributor.... If it works what you did i'm all for that and don't discredit it at all.
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts