Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been advised to pres. wash bottom half of emng. from under neath to try and determine IF my crank seal is leaking or elsewhere. I have literally hosed off engines at car wash with no yrouble but not sure qith allthe electronic stuff on these. Advice?
btw: it is a 99 GV

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have done it to mine with no problems. I suppose anything is possible, but when you are driving in a severe rainstorm, water gets thrown up there as well.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Pressure washers have a lot more force than a rain storm, ask me how I know (8 stitches worth of scar on my thumb). The only things I can think of to beware of would be crank sensor, oil pressure and trans., etc. electric connections.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yea, I wasn't trying to say the pressures are the same, just that water gets thrown up there from rain water. Heck, we pressure wash engines all the time at work with no issues. Not like the old days with points and a rotor.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Yea, I wasn't trying to say the pressures are the same, just that water gets thrown up there from rain water. Heck, we pressure wash engines all the time at work with no issues. Not like the old days with points and a rotor.
Yep, probably won't have any issues as the connectors are weatherpack with locks. But at least he knows pressure washers can cut ya, lol. Be careful.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
thanks for the input. where is the crank sensor? someone else mention this
"is a 99 GV "

What motor?

Also the GV is a different forum... but you'll likely get an answer here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh. so sorry. I can 'move' and ask the question over there?
Anyway, it is a 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara 6 cyl

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'd just ask again over there. In general they have more experience with the v6 motors.

I think that if you pressure wash the UNDERSIDE of your motor and have a problem, it was something that needed fixed anyway. ;)

About your oil leak, after cleaning the motor, spray a little "foot powder" around the areas you suspect. Any oil seepage will make trails in the white powder. I get foot powder at the dollar store.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pres. washing UNDERSIDE engine

I have a 99 Suz. GV. 6 cyl.
I have been advised to pres. wash bottom half of my engine. from under neath to try and determine IF my crank seal is leaking or elsewhere. I have hosed off engines one other vehicles at a car wash with no trouble but not sure with all the electronic stuff on these. Advice?
Someone mentioned be careful of crank sensor. Where is it located?

·
Super Moderator
24,222 Posts
I believe that the sensor may be at the front of the oil pan. Personally, I would use a degreaser, rather than a pressure washer, in the engine area. But that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
18,199 Posts
The crank sensor is here...

Small black box with two wires to the left of the crank pulley. It isn't particularly sensitive to water, IMO.
Stay away from any TOPSIDE electrical items though. I took out a coil-pack when engine washing. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shoot!! Right where I need to clear away oil the most! I have had opinions that crank seal is leaking. However, from reading posts, seems these buggies are notorious for timing cover. Another huge $. I have spent a small fortune on this old girl already. Not sure how much more I want to spend. Sigh.

Thanks for pix and all the input

·
Registered
223 Posts
That sensor is sure a lot easier to get at than my the 95 Dakota 5.2 V8 I used to own. I had to pull the transmission to change it.

·
Super Moderator
18,199 Posts
Rascal. It's just a sealed inductive pickup. Nothing fancy about it. Your biggest concern would be if water got into the pigtail two wire connector which is accessable to clean.

Now, the timing cover leaking IS a highly likely source for trouble. That or the pan proper, oil pressure sending unit, filter or valve covers. :(

·
Super Moderator
18,199 Posts
That sensor is sure a lot easier to get at than my the 95 Dakota 5.2 V8 I used to own. I had to pull the transmission to change it.
That's how our 2.0 4-bangers are configured. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yikes. There is a lot of oil under there! I may try and look myself. I can darn near sit up under it. lol I'm short and there is about a 2-3" lift on it...apparently.
Sadly, there are not a lot of mechanics around here that know these vehicles. The one mechanic in town actually owns one, as does his assistant, but neither hasn had to do any work on them yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts