Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a phantom problem with the ignition. Back in October it would not turn over at all, until bumped started. No noise from the engine when turning the ignition. Since then it has worked fine, but last week went on a journey and back, started stopped and then stopped five mins from home, and again would not start (no sound when turning ignition but all dash boards lights came on)
Since then it did the same altho we bumped it) Today due to go to garage, and it started fine three times so cancelled garage. Garage says could be brushes in starter motor. Anyone got any ideas. We have checked the electrics and it has a new battery and connections are good. Thanks It is a |Jimney 53 model.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you had the battery load tested? A battery can be new and provide power to normal electrics but fail to start an engine.

I would also look at the srarter solenoid, it may need servicing, or the so called "clicky starter fix".

·
Registered
616 Posts
Starter problems...

I would also look at the srarter solenoid, it may need servicing, or the so called "clicky starter fix".
The "Clicky Starter Fix" is commonly used on Samurai/Sierras.

The diagnosis is that the current flow from the Ignition switch to the starter relay is no longer strong enough to activate the starter relay or the starter relay is going bad.

Most of the time - on a Samurai/Sierra at least - the problem turns out to be the lack of current-carrying capacity of the 20+ year-old wiring harness. With age the copper wire gets corroded and loses the capacity to pass sufficient current.

The "Clicky Starter Fix" solution inserts a relay between the ignition switch starter wire and the starter solenoid. Thus a small current closes the "CSF relay" which provides ample current to the starter solenoid.

What does this mean for your Jimny?

If your Jimny is an older model that has spent most of it's life out-of-doors or has been driven in water, it might be a candidate for a "Clicky Starter Fix".

If you replace the starter motor/starter solenoid assembly and the problem persists, your Jimny is more likely a candidate for a "Clicky Starter Fix".

Before you go and spend money on a starter or a "Clicky Starter Fix", I would check to make sure that the starter is properly grounded. Use a multimeter set to Volts DC and measure from the Positive connector on the battery to the case on the starter. If it displays a significantly lower value than a measurement between the + and - connectors on the battery, remove the starter and thoroughly clean the grease off the area where it is bolted on to improve the ground path. Also clean up where the ground strap on the engine is attached.

If the above work is beyond your ability, have a mechanic do it. Tell him/her you are concerned that the starter or engine - or both - is not properly grounded.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I would get the starter checked/replaced and if that doesn't fix it then get the ignition switch checked. I've never heard of anyone needing to do do the 'clicky starter' fix on an SN series Jimny.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would get the starter checked/replaced and if that doesn't fix it then get the ignition switch checked. I've never heard of anyone needing to do do the 'clicky starter' fix on an SN series Jimny.
...and I agree with rhinomans' comment. :D The Suzuki 4x4 forums are awash with posts about this problem with early SJs. Not so much with Jimnys.

If nothing else, you now have an explanation about what the "clicky starter fix" is all about... Personally, I kind of think the "CSF" might actually be a cheap alternative to replacing the ignition assembly on an SJ. Moving parts always fail first...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts