Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my super carry 1000cc petrol engine has become a pig to start in the morning! Once started will run great all day.plugs leads look ok new distributor cap,rotor arm cleaned.... Always use full choke and always fires up within seconds....choke to half way for about five mins .....job done runs all day but now cranks over......but takes quite a while to fire...once it fires and I get engine to catch....then it's ok....Help !! :confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
The cold isn't the problem.more likely to be the damp I think.:D
Get a pump spray bottle with some water in it. With it running, mist down the ign leads.
Better to do in a dark place and watch for sparks or a blue halo around the leads.
Just mist... don't soak.

May not be a bad idea to do a compression test just to be sure the compression is within specs. Any motor can be a devil to start if the compression is low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spray idea.......

Yes good idea re spray will do when she is running in the dark.....can I also do same to distributor cap ?..think compression is ok as runs great once started ,only had this problem really over last few days when we had damp weather again.i sprayed ignition sealant all over leads distributor cap etc....also opened distributor and gave a good spray inside and the inside of the cap.....but starting worse in morning !!! Did I spray to much inside cap and around points I wonder ???!!! Thanks for any help :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes good idea re spray will do when she is running in the dark.....can I also do same to distributor cap ?..think compression is ok as runs great once started ,only had this problem really over last few days when we had damp weather again.i sprayed ignition sealant all over leads distributor cap etc....also opened distributor and gave a good spray inside and the inside of the cap.....but starting worse in morning !!! Did I spray to much inside cap and around points I wonder ???!!! Thanks for any help :D
Yes, but with care. there are vent holes in the cap. I tend to avoid wetting the cap. May cause more harm than good.

I don't think the ign sealer inside the cap was a good idea. If it is silicone based that burns... burn the points ??? just a guess. How are the points by the way? Timing and dwell set right?? Just tossing out some thoughts here.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts