Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 samurai completely stock. I recently just changed the front main in it to fix a leak, but now when I try to start it all it does is cranks but will not fire up. I know changing the main seal had nothing to do with combustion at all, but I was wondering if anyone else had came across the same issue or knows of anyone it's happen to. It drove and started just fine a few hours before that when I took it to my buddies to work on it! Please help!! Any ideas!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
In changing the front mail seal the lower timing pulley has to come off and must be reinstalled with the timing marks lined up exactly or valve timing will be off preventing it from starting/running correctly.

Luckily (I think) the 1.3 is a non-interference engine, meaning the valves will not contact the pistons if the timing belt is incorrectly installed. On many engines this would do significant internal damage, but not the good ol' 1.3L. You should be able to line it up correctly and drive away.

The above is assuming presence of spark and fuel but since you had just had the lower pulleys off I think the chance is excellent that it went back on out of time.

I would verify the timing marks in the cam and crank pulleys are lined up according to the manual. If you dont have a service manual you can download one here. Further, if your not sure when the timing belt was replaced last it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and get a timing belt KIT (not Chinese stuff) and install it since you will be in there anyway. They should be replaced every 90k or so for most vehicles.

Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thank you for the info and help. I fixed the leak and got everything timed back in! But of course one thing leads to another and now the Sammy is idling really high. I've adjusted it on the idler and it helps but then it eventually starts to idle high again.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If it has AC check the high idle solenoid, also check for proper choke function and vac leaks. There are other reasons it might idle high and I can only generalize as mine is EFI, others here are going to know quite a bit more than I on the Sami carb. Good luck in getting her dialed back in.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hey thank you for the info and help. I fixed the leak and got everything timed back in! But of course one thing leads to another and now the Sammy is idling really high. I've adjusted it on the idler and it helps but then it eventually starts to idle high again.
You may still have the cam timing wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts